Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me choose a new board

Magpel

I have a QS 8, a Korg NS5R module, a couple of softsynths (Reality is the one I use most because it's latency is better than the others) and Gigasampler, which is increasingly becoming my choice for instrument emulations as my sample library *slowly* expands.

I need a new keyboard because a) I want a non-weighted controller in my studio (QS 8 keys are just killing my wimpy guitar player fingers) and b) it is always possible that I'll play out as a keyboardist some time soon.

I need it to be cheap, say something in the 600-700 range.

My Quandary is this: I'm starting to really get into synth programming and so I would love to have a board that's not just the same old sounds we're all so used to, even an older synth would be fine so long as it doubles nicely as an alternate controller in the studio. Gigasampler will be handling more and more of my studio needs, so I don't see why I need another flavor of ROMpler. BUT...since my other intention is to use it live, I need good bread and butter sounds, pianos, eps and organs. The QS 7 sort of fits this bill, but alas, I already have the 8.

I'm looking at two Rolands: a used XP 30, which is almost in my price range, and the new RS-5, which is solidly in my range. I'd love to hear from anyone familiar with these, and I'd also love other suggestions based on the situation described above: highly programmable and flexible noisemaker with good to very good basic keyboard sounds Thanks in advance for any and all

replies.

Magpel

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived