Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi connections.

Slowly

My Hammond XK2 has midi. They say the Alesis S6-16 drum machine has midi. If I plug it into my XK2, does the SR-16 output merge with the XK2 to become available as one signal? Thanks in advance for any replys.

"Let It Be!"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kcbass:

You have to give us a little more information. Are you asking that if you plug the MIDI Out of the SR-16 to the MIDI In of the XK-2, will the merged MIDI info (that is both the MIDI info of the Hammond AND the MIDI info of the Alesis) then be passed out of the MIDI out of the Hammond? The answer to that is no. The note data played on the XK-2's keyboard is routed to the MIDI Out of the XK-2, and the note data that comes into the XK-2 from the SR-16 is passed to the MIDI Thru.

If this is not what you're looking for, give us some more information.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Hi joegerardi,

Thanks, your response showed how vague my question was. If I send the drum machines midi info into the keyboard, will the keyboard process this info and send it to the headphone jacks on the keyboard? So that I can hear the keyboard tones and the drum beats thru the keyboards own phone jack. Or do you think I will have to merge these two signals thru an external headphone amp? I hope not, my budget the wife has me on really sucks. Thanks you. Casey

------------------

Serving the Lord continually!

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by kcbass:

If I send the drum machines midi info into the keyboard, will the keyboard process this info and send it to the headphone jacks on the keyboard?

If you set the drum machine to send on channel 1 and the keyboard recive on channel 1, you will hear the drum machine controlling the sound of the keyboard.

So that I can hear the keyboard tones and the drum beats thru the keyboards own phone jack.

No. Not possible.

Try doing it the other way around and you will see(hear) for your self.

You must remember that midi does not transfer audio. Only information about what key being pressed and for how long, how hard and different countinues controller messages. No audio.

So, you actually need a mixer of some kind to hook up both machines, as you thought of.

------------------

--Smedis,--

You know Smedis, life is never easy, is it?

No, it's not, and it costs a hell of money to stay alive and having fun...

------------------

--Smedis,--

Archived