Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why can't this be love

I sat with old tapes yesterday, listening to our recordings made in the -80ies.

On one side of a tape, a song with Van Halen came on.

It was "Why can't this be love"

That song, or more precisely, that synth sound, and how it is played is awesome.

Analog sound in it's best dress.

Darn, I miss my analog synth again. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

--Smedis,--

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more!!!! I think all of the Van Halen keyboard parts pretty much rocked. How about: Right now, When its love, Wait, Dreams,

For a guy to be such a guitar player, he sure can get around the keys creatively.

Peace,

Fletch

Eddie was a "child prodigy" on the keys. His father was a musician and composer, and Eddie had plenty of formal "classical music" education. I think when he was 12, just after his family moved to the US, he won an open classical piano contest held at the Long Beach Ampitheatre.

He's always continued to play keys and was ready to fight with any fans who thought keyboards had no place in VanHalen music.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Originally posted by guitplayer:

He's always continued to play keys and was ready to fight with any fans who thought keyboards had no place in VanHalen music.

Without denigrating Eddie's chops on keys, which I'm sure are formidable, or his artistry, count me among the population that would rather he keep the keyboards in the bedroom. It's nothing but a subjective albeit passionate opinion, but VH is/was best when they hit that "loose but tight" groove that is the essence of some much great rock and roll (My favorite is VH 2, but Fair Warning is awesome too). Somehow, the more keyboard based tunes seem "locked in" to those arpeggios, less animate and organic than his guitar riff-based songs. Incidentally, I've always been more impressed by Eddie as a loose, swaggering rhythm/riff player than as a pyrotechnic lead player. It's the great rhythm feel of his playing that the legions of imitators sort of missed the point on, while they quickly exceeded him in flash and novel hammer-on technique. There's more substance and soul in the opening riff of 'Beautiful Girls" than in 8 CDS of [eddie imitator here]'s work, in my ever humble opinion. I'm also a Roth-era fan pretty much exclusively, though I continue to hear Eddie's musical excellence in the other stuff.

John, aka Magpel

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived