Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Share your Hammond drawbar regs/settings!

b3fiend

What are your favorite Hammond "patches"? (drawbar registrations, vibrato/chorus, heavy/light overdrive, etc.)

I seem to always fall back to 688826000 with light tremolo and a hint of drive and 'verb, with soft percussion, but can never seem to dial up some of the classic sounds I am looking for (I use a Hammond XK-2 with a Korg G4 leslie sim pedal)

I think it would be interesting to see what others have dialed up for great sounds.

what are your favorites? It doesn't matter if its a real B3 or a clone...

(Lets just share settings - this could easily turn into a battle of the Hammond clones thread... :)

-Gregg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi b3friend,

I get my XK2 this week, Friday at the latest. I dont have any XK2 regs yet but if you had a Yamaha PSR I could tell you how to hook it up. But here are some registrations Ive collected over time. these are more for gospel than anything else, but they may contain some sounds you are looking for.

808....great with jazz runs...

876....Nice soft bass line run..

787....Stopped bass line run...great with fast choppy chords

and what is yours......

soft music

808800004...great for playing soft chords..

876543234...nice string sound...

008030000...nice flute sound...

shouting music

876556788...great for shouting chords

888567321...Diapson sound for nice chords..

Leslie switch can be turned off and on with these combinations...

Here's more I've downloaded...

808808088 for choir

868800004 melvin crispel sound w/c3

888800568 alt

688888888 alt

888800000 bass/power chords

848600046 meditation/hynms

808808008 good ole gospel

808808000 playing by yourself (pad)

008800000 playing w/ (others pad) annointed jazz

008400002 quiet music

008888888 driving a service use chorale w/ no v/c it really talks

008888001uses for lots of left hand

008880088 USE FOR CONTEMPORARY ONLY w/ lots of stacks w/c3

008000000 glisses or appeggios, also great runs over chords

008808008 great for congregationals and when under piano/bass

008880888 shout/and preach

803000048 jazzy/"faith" by G.P.

888888888 full blown shout

858808888 Shout sound if gets to annoying

"Let It Be!"

Some of my faves

88 8886 666 C-3 P3 Soft Fast

- Greg Rolie Early Santana

88 6000 040 C-3 P3 Normal Slow -

- Greg Allman Dreams Play from C3 to C4 pick hand up completely between chords

88 6000 000 C-3 P3 Soft & Fast

My go-to sound - Everyone uses it.

Do a trill between 1 note & 2 notes & alternate between

88 8800 000 & 00 8800 00 by pushing in & out the 16' & 8' drawbars fairly quickly C-3 P3 Soft Fast gives you a waa-waa sound

- Chester Thompson Tower of Power & Santana

Take a match book cover & stick it in between the C5 & the end block to hold down the key, frees up hands to do chops.

- Chester Thompson Tower of Power & Santana see Squid Cakes??

If your are doing bass runs with your left hand, stick your nose on middle C, leaves right hand to do leads & chops.

- Denis LePage, Montreal

88 0000 000 Vib off P3 Normal Slow, Volume Pedal Maxed, Distortion on Stun, Key Click on Max, Play single notes between C1 & C3.

- Keith Emerson

88 0000 088 LM Vib off play F#3, A#3, F#4, A#4 Play like a distant train. Then do

88 8800 000 UM Vib off P2 Soft Slow, left & right chops - triplets - on lower part of keyboard, like train going along the tracks.

- Donny Muir, a guy in town

00 0008 888 Vib off P off, Fast Leslie Smear hand up & down the keyboard, like ocean waves or the wind whistling

- One of mine ending Dock of the Bay.

Steve

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Hey everyone,

I take a slightly different approach. I start with a fundamental sound, and then just add or subtract upper harmonics as I hear fit...I mostly adjust the drawbars so that I can hear myself cut through the stage monitors!!!

IMHO, when you play live, unless you have a "mega-PA", a lot of the sublte sound gets lost. That's why I do my best to just cut through the mix (all the while, picking the right sized "scapel" :-\)

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Hey everyone,

I take a slightly different approach. I start with a fundamental sound, and then just add or subtract upper harmonics as I hear fit...I mostly adjust the drawbars so that I can hear myself cut through the stage monitors!!!

IMHO, when you play live, unless you have a "mega-PA", a lot of the sublte sound gets lost. That's why I do my best to just cut through the mix (all the while, picking the right sized "scapel" :-\)

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

Originally posted by analogman1@aol.com:

Tom

WOW! this thread is reaping a TON of goodies. I can't wait to get back to the studio after work to play with these.

Analogman is talking right up my alley here... I mostly play live, and I really have no idea if by drawbar fiddling is getting translated out the main PA accurately or not. I am always twisting my head to cock my ear at different angle to my monitor trying to get an accurate picture of my sounds. People must think I am doing some kind of david-Byrne-Talking Heads type of dance when I do this http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Actually, this exact subject is why I posted a thread about in-ear monitoring - I really want to hear what the final mix is doing with my sounds!

-Gregg

I pretty much use the standards -

888 000 000 with percussion on the 3rd harmonic, fast decay, and Vibrato/Chorus on C3

888 800 000 without perc. With that one, I sometimes grabbed the last drawbar and pulled it out a little, about half at most, to add a little spice.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by analogman1@aol.com:

Hey everyone,

IMHO, when you play live, unless you have a "mega-PA", a lot of the sublte sound gets lost.

No need to adjust drawbars for lack of PA or competent sound man. A B-3 or one of the new emulators will cut through if you are using the power drawbars (the lower 4). If you like you can adjust drawbars as you are playing because of the different harmonics or sound that you get depending what part of the keyboard you are playing on. What you are hearing on stage may & most likely be different than what happens out front. Using the drawbars as an 9 band EQ - don't.

Steve

Originally posted by kcbass:

Hey b3 guy,

When I tried the Denis Lepage trick. I play C and D also. lol

Maybe you need plastic surgery http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Just kidding. I watched him do it a couple of years ago at the local Jazz festival. Just him, a drummer, & a my B-3 with pedals. He didn't seem to have a pointy honker either. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Steve

Steve

Archived