Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Licensing through the web

Kevin Slack

I was just curious if anybody out there has had any success with licensing their music through any of these new "licensing web sites"??? This sounds like a good way to get hooked up with music supervisors. I checked out MP3.com's program and it looked appealing. You get 60% and mp3.com gets 40%. I looked on one of the message boards and most of the posts were negative. Nobody got any offers. Also, it appears MP3.com has this clause in the contract where the artist owe's mp3.com 40% even if the buyer backs out of the deal. (What's up with that?) Do music supervisors even use these web sites? I know there are more sites out that there for this i.e. licensemusic.com. Some want full length CD's complete( I only want to shop one tune at time). Also, there seems to be a lot of legal stuff in the contracts (exclusivity, percentages, etc). Is it worth it?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Kevin Slack:

I was just curious if anybody out there has had any success with licensing their music through any of these new "licensing web sites"??? This sounds like a good way to get hooked up with music supervisors. I checked out MP3.com's program and it looked appealing. You get 60% and mp3.com gets 40%. I looked on one of the message boards and most of the posts were negative. Nobody got any offers. Also, it appears MP3.com has this clause in the contract where the artist owe's mp3.com 40% even if the buyer backs out of the deal. (What's up with that?) Do music supervisors even use these web sites? I know there are more sites out that there for this i.e. licensemusic.com. Some want full length CD's complete( I only want to shop one tune at time). Also, there seems to be a lot of legal stuff in the contracts (exclusivity, percentages, etc). Is it worth it?

Kevin, I guess no one's had any experience with these licensing sites. I've been approached by several of them but I haven't taken them up on it, and I noticed the mp3.com program too, but that deal sounds ridiculous.

So as to whether it's worth it....depends on if you've got other directions you can turn for licensing. Whatever you do, make sure you have a good entertainment attorney check it out! Yikes!

lz

http://www.lauriez.com

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

MP3's deal is extremely terms and cost-prohibitive. They really don't have any better contacts than a legitimate manager would, and managers don't command 40%.

MP3's deal is for the "60% of something is better than 100% of nothing" mindset.

I looked into it, and I have a few friends that joined with a few songs, and have gotten nothing out of it at all. And they are SUPERLATIVE musicians, it's not crap at all...

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Archived