Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aarvark upgrades?...fuggedaboudit!!!

Here is a little story about how the latest is not necessarily the greatest.

I bought and installed an Aardvark LX6 sound card. The original driver version was 5.10. Before I ever attempted to record using the card (I use Logic Audio) I upgraded the driver to the 5.12. My audio tracks played back with what sounded like polyphonic clicks. I posted the question here and on other forums as well. I contacted Emagic with no response. I didn't contact Aardvark as I was convinced this was some configuration oversight (in Logic) on my part. I tried every imaginable configuration I could think of...also tried mangling my environment as well. But alas still had the clicks.

So along comes Aardvark's 5.14 version of the driver. I downloaded and installed as you would normally expect. Now instead of clicks (which BTW I discovered were NOT polyphonic clicks but were caused by HORRIBLE LATENCY using the 5.12 drivers) I could not playback any recorded audio tracks at all. Aardvark had included some additional amenities that were aimed at the Logic programs to solve the latency problems. The only way I could get playback was to cause the ASIO drivers to reload. This had to be done each and every time LA was opened. Totally unacceptable!

Now that I knew the problem wasn't Logic, but instead was the Aardvark drivers, I contacted Aardvark support outlining the difficulties I was having with the 5.14 driver. I recieved an immediate response (imagine that!) from their support team indicating no problem on their end playing back audio tracks in LA using the updated drivers and asked what version of Logic I was using. I responded that I was using 4.7.0. As of this writing I have not received any response from Aardvark (I responded two days ago...lets blame it on the holiday).

I read other posts on other forums where people were having problems with the new drivers and ended up reverting to the previous version of the drivers.

HMMMMM!

So monkey see - monkey do!

I reloaded the original 5.10 drivers (the drivers that came with the card) and viola' NO LATENCY....FLAWLESS RECORDING AND PLAYBACK!!!

Just goes to show you that the latest is not necessarily the greatest!

This can be applied to many genres (keyboards?).

Michael http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by midirat on 07-04-2001 at 02:06 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are totaly right. I had problems, and everybody I know had problems with drivers that are not bundled with a product. I think that manufacturers just make a new driver and never test it. The only thing I do not understend is why they call them "Driver updates" - they are more like "driver drawbacks" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Archived