Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD 700

Fletch

Has anyone heard this board yet, I was wondering about the basic sound quality: Piano, Wurl, Rhodes, Strings, etc........

The initial specs look wonderful on paper, I just wondered how it compared to the competition (PC2x, S80, Alesis 8. etc...)

Two other quick questions to the knowledgables souls of this site:

1. What is the price range for the RD 700?

2. Will this board compete with the XV-88 (how do the differ)?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the XV-88 mainly for the good sounds and piano action. I found it had the best feel as a piano player. I compared against the PC2X and the S80. I really want to go and test out the RD-700.

The S80 had good keyboard action, but for me the XV-88 beat it out. I miss the lighter keyboard, as it takes 2 people to move the XV-88. The PC2X was great but the keys are closer to the synth kind.

You can adjust the keyboard action on the XV-88 so its more responsive like a synth or heavier like a big grand piano. There are five settings light to heavy, the default is right in the middle.

As an XV-88 owner, I am very interested in the RD-700, so yes, to a certain degree they do compete. I'm thinking I "might" trade up, but we'll see first.

Here's what I've been able to figure out so far, and remember it's not out yet so this is just my research:

------------------------------------------------

They are basically the same keyboard packaged for different audiences:

The XV-88 is oriented towards performance - gigging musicians who use a MIDI controller but want the sound and feel of a piano.

The RD-700 is oriented towards people who want a digital piano, but also want some MIDI features ......

Underneath it all though, they are basically the same.

Main differences:

------------------------------------------------

RD-700

- Larger LCD - better display features

- Has knobs - so technically it's easier to shape sounds

- 2 slots for the newer SR-JV80 expansion boards

- Sounds based on: The "best Roland sounds" whatever that means.

- Effects based on: XV-3080

XV-88

- D-Beam infra-red controller

- 4 expansion slots - 2 slots for SR-JV80 expansion boards and 2 for the older XP/JV-Series Patches

- Sounds based on: the JV-2080 and JD-990 Super JD

- Effects based on: Roland SRV-3030, V-Studios, and RSS technology

I'm guessing here:

It looks like the RD-700 has a slightly better arpeggiator.

As a "digital piano" I think the RD-700 might have better piano sounds.

If the RD 700 sounds better than the XV-88 in terms of the piano, that will be one top notch piece of equiment.

Does anyone know if it takes the SRX expansion cards that the XV88 does?

Peace,

Fletch

Yes the RD-700 supports the Roland SRX expansion boards. It has two slots.

One interesting thing though, no-where in any of the marketing material does it mention after touch. I can't believe Roland would leave that out on their flagship digital piano, but it doesn't say it anywhere which is a little suspicious, the XV-88 does support after touch, and specifically says so in the marketing material.

It looks like the RD-700 will be significantly cheaper than the XV-88. It's listing for $2195.00 (not on sale yet though)

The XV-88 lists for $2995 but normally sells for $2495. I picked up my XV-88 on sale at Guitar Center for $2099.00

mwisniewsk,

I find it odd that you would think you would "trade up" from the XV88 to the RD700. The RD is certainly a lower model than the XV. You also have a few facts jumbled: the newer expansion boards are called SRX, the older ones are the SRJV80. The XV88's sound engine is not at all based on the JV/XP series, it shares similarities but it is entirely rebuilt both in terms of its stereo tones and upgraded effects.

The Roland RD line has always lacked aftertouch. Before the XV88 the only other PA-4 Hammer action keyboard with aftertouch was the A90/EX. The RD's have usually had their own soundset, made for the giging pianist, and their own specialized effect set (the RD600, for instance, had excellent non-V studio distortion, overdrive, and Wah's). However, with the RD700 Roland seems to be adopting features from the XV88 to the RD line. Other than the screen, the SRX boards, the effects, the arpeggiator and most of the sounds all come from the XV88/3080 line.

Keep your XV88, it really is the best 88 key keyboard there is right now. And if you like the knobs better than sliders, get a little knob box to mount on top like the Doepfer Pocket Control ,available at Mickey Tachibana's drum machine museum store for under $200. www.drummachine.com

Hello to RD700 seekers,

The Rd700 will sell for around $1799.99 . I think this piano will be a nice value . The price on the S80 has come down a little(1400.00) . The QS8.1 by Alesis is being liquidated by most stores . Alesis went chapter 11 and was purchased by Stanton . There are some questions on how service claims will be handled . Hopefully Alesis will turn itself around . I would wait to play and see the RD700 before buying . Good Luck Dan O

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

I just got one! I live in Phoenix, but got it from Matt @ Grandma's in Albuquerque. It is awesome. Very pleased with it. The action is better than I had expected. The stock pianos are very realistic and tasteful. With a good sound system and engineer, you'd have a hard time telling the difference. I also own a PC2 and a QS8 for stage pianos. The PC2 is a couple of months old and is back at Kurzweil getting fixed. My third Kurz, my third turd!! My QS8 is around 5 years old and has been a flawless performer and a mainstay on my gigging rack. Never let me down. I got the RD700 because I don't need all of the synth sounds that the XV does. I also liked the price point. Dollar for pound, there isn't a better or more powerful board on the market today than the RD700. The SRX card expansion slots are the same as the XV88. The 128 voice polyphony allows you to plenty of layering possibilities. The PC2 only comes stock with 64 voices, and the upgrade to 128 is pretty expensive. The QS has 64 as well, with no options to upgrade. I am looking for a case for this thing and would apprectiate any feedback as to whom has good deals on new or used. Don't hesitate to ask questions, they are still hard to find.

Rickkreuzer,

Could you give me some specific comparisons of the PC2 QS8.1 and the RD 700 in terms of Pianos, Strings, Wurli, Rhodes, Organ Sounds.

Also, what sounds come in the RD 700.

Thanks in Advance,

Fletch

Rickkreuzer,

Two more quick questions. Does the RD 700 have aftertouch on the piano? and is there any type of an EQ onboard to control the sounds with?

Thanks in advance.

Fletch

• 3 weeks later...

I want your opinions on the piano and Rhodes samples in the Roland XV line of synths, the RD700 and the Kurzweil PC2X Digital Piano.

Also I would like your critiques on the piano and Rhodes in Roland's two Expansion Boards: SRX-02 "Concert Piano" (64 meg)

and SR-JV Expansion Board "60s & 70s Keyboards"

Does the SRX-02 "Concert Piano" sound diffener in the XV-88 than in the RD 700?

1) Would you agree that the Roland SRX-02 Concert Piano Wave Expansion Board provides a superior piano sample than Roland's XV-88 internal piano sample and the piano in the RD700 ? And that the SRX-02 piano perhaps sounds and behaves better than any other manufacturer's piano sample?

2) Would you agree that the Roland SR-JV 60s & 70s Keyboards Expansion Board provides a superior sounding and behaving Rhodes sample than Roland's XV-88's internal Rhodes sample or the Rhodes in the RD700? And that the "SR-JV 60s & 70s Keyboards" Rhodes perhaps sounds and behaves better than any other manufacturer's Rhodes sample? (Touch Rhodes is Jeff Lorber's favorite on the "SR-JV 60s & 70s Keyboards" )

3) Can you compare and rate the Roland SR-JV 60s & 70s Keyboards Expansion Board Rhodes with that of the RD-700's Rhodes in terms of how it sounds and behaves?

Will the piano sounds on the SRX Concert Piano card sound the same in the RD-700 as if the card were being used with the XV-88? (i.e., are the sound and effects architectures of the two pieces the same, or will the board sound substandard on the less expansive RD-700 as Roland's way of getting you to buy the XV-88?)

This message has been edited by mreddyson on 07-21-2001 at 05:56 PM

Sorry for the delay, Fletch. The most noticable differences between the boards is the polyphony. The piano on the RD is much more precise than the one on the PC2. Kurz's 'triple strike' piano is nice and pleasing, but really lacks the warmth that the Roland has. My personal favorite piano on the rd is the st grand 2. My personal favorite on the PC2 is the Dynamic piano. The Alesis has the true stereo which is very nice because the mod wheel actually helps cut through the mix when you need the extra edge. What really impresses me is the ability of the Roland to layer sounds on top of the piano without loosing the nuances of the piano. I'm no computer wiz, but I do run out of polyphony on Alesis, and definately lose the bottom on the Kurz on some string layers when using fat chords. I still really really like the way the QS Key organ sounds. The PC2 has great controls over the perameters, though. Now this RD has a tone wheel organ with adjustable perameters, too but I'm usually too busy on the RD for the piano sounds to use it in performances, but the only complaint I'd have is the leslie control is a knob rather than a button or mod wheel. Strings--hands down Roland. The Alesis is a bit edgy and lacks warmth. The Kurz is hollow and lacks depth. Wurli is nice on the Roland and Kurzweil and ok on the QS.

My Kurz hasn't gotten out of the shop yet and I'm very quickly learning that I can do without it. I'll always have a backup when there's a Kurz involved.

The only complaint about the RD is the bottom. I know that pressboard is strong and all, but Roland could have finished it a tad better...

The Roland has a very nice pallate of approx 430 or so sounds. The tenor sax is lots of fun to screw around with on stage. Very realistic. The Kurz has a cool vocal thing, but the Roland definately comes close on that. I can't imagine ever really needing that anyway.

The RD does NOT have aftertouch. The EQ is very easily accessible and can be adjusted on the fly. There are 3 knobs on the upper left of the board and a button to the right of it that turns it on and off.

As far as I know, the SRX-02 will be the same in either unit. I personally haven't gotten one, but would like to because of what I've read about it. I can say that it must be impressive if it's to be an improvement over the stock pianos.

Hope this helps. Sorry again for the delay...

This message has been edited by rickkreuzer on 07-25-2001 at 09:39 PM

I am currently renting an RD700. The acoustic pianos are ok, but the Rhodes patches suck. Some of the raw Rhodes samples are ok, the problem is with the way they have implemented velocity-switching. There is velocity-switching on every single Rhodes patch, and in every case, it extremelty crude and obvious. The playing experience is very un-natural, and so is the sound (of the Rhodes patches, I'm talking about).

The drawbar rhodes sounds are ok, but I'm not very impressed with the Leslie effect.

The acoustic pianos are ok, but they all have that aggressive, in-your-face rock'n'roll piano sound that all Roland pianos seem to have. If that's the sound you're after, then it's ok. It would be good in a rock or country setting, I think. For jazz, not so good. I prefer the Yamaha or Kurzweil piano sound.

Thanks for the information. I've got a friend looking into getting the RD 700 but can't find one to play so I told him I'd ask people at this forum about the baord.

Peace,

Fletch

Archived