Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best piano sample for AkaiS6000

Rainchild

I had tried a few piano sample CDrom for my Akai s6000, but with on sucess. I have tried the prosonus Grand piano (128Meg) and the USB Acoustic Piano (256 Meg), also the Black and White piano from bitheadz. They just don't sound good enough. Have any of you tried other libraries? Is the Q-up-arts holy-grail-piano any good?

(p.s. Please do not suggest that i should record the real thang. I would if I have the budget to do so......)

regards and thanx in advance

Rainchild

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I have not heard or used the samples you wrote about, but I have bought the Wm Coakley Perfect Piano Vol 3 in the Akai format. It does an excellent job though I am not 100% satisfied with it.

Listening to it in my living room through headphones, I wish it had a greater dynamic range (though that could be the result of my midi-controller a Roland A-80 and the Akai 5000). When I use it on jobs through my Bose 802's, it really does sound excellent.

There is a minor programming 'flaw' with the overall sample. Coakley decided not to have the sample fade into nothing and if you hold the keys down, the sample will continue to sound indefinitely though very quietly. That can be easily corrected with editing though I have not done that. That 'flaw' (a programming flaw actually) does not normally pose a problem in real use.

The Vol 3 costs $400 and it would probably be better if you could get your hands on a copy to try before you decide to buy. I bought it without hearing it and would do so again. It is pricey though I am happy with it _and_ I always get compliments on my piano sound. (Having an excellent sound sound doesn't hurt either.)

I hope this has been of some help. You can call Wm Coakley and speak to him in person and he will answer your questions. He was most helpful with me. I will buy Vol 4 whenever it is offered.

All the best, Dave Horne - The Netherlands

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I own....

East West Stienway and bosendorfer.

Miroslav

boulder

gigapiano

steinway for giga

bosendorfer for giga

trachtman for giga

ilio rock piano

roland 5080 piano exp

kurzweil k2500 w piano board

korg sg1d new

and have tried most everything else

best so far is the steinway for giga.

The version of it for the akai is not so good.

I have not tied the coakely but have heard good things about it.

Originally posted by ed hamilton:

I own....

East West Stienway and bosendorfer.

Miroslav

boulder

gigapiano

steinway for giga

bosendorfer for giga

trachtman for giga

ilio rock piano

roland 5080 piano exp

kurzweil k2500 w piano board

korg sg1d new

and have tried most everything else

best so far is the steinway for giga.

The version of it for the akai is not so good.

I have not tied the coakely but have heard good things about it.

Ed,

I have both the gigapiano and the Trachman-C 8 layer samples for giga. Neither one is very satisfying to me. The Gigapiano has a harsh ringing overtone in the middle octave at velocities above 100, and the pedal release damping is too slow. The Trachtman is miked strangely and sounds rather hollow to me, especially in the middle octave, and some of the notes aren't in tune.

Neither of these pianos sit particularly well in a pop mix.

Is it the East-West Steinway for giga that is better than these two? (Or is the steinway for giga different from the East-West steinway for giga?) I'd love to get a mixable sampled piano sound, but I hate to keep shelling out money for sample libs I can't mix with or return.

Thanks for any insight/info!

-Gary

This message has been edited by garyd on 06-19-2001 at 05:18 PM

• 1 month later...

I have yet to see a keyboardist with a band using their laptop onstage live as their main digital piano sample or for Rhodes (Emagic Plug in).

They all seem to be still using digital pianos by Roland, Kurzweil or Yamaha. Why is that?

Is the nuance so subtle that in a live band setting that it's not worth the hassle? The hassle of what?

If one wants to use a Gigasampler on a laptop live, for example with East West's Stienway B sample, and ALSO be able to switch to Emagic's Computer Plug in Rhodes, wouldn't that require opening and closing back and forth between Gigasampler and Logic? That would be very time consuming, wouldn't it?

Check this out. Purgatory Creek did a Digital Piano Shoot out using the the same MIDI file, they made an MP3 for each digital piano. You can hear for yourself the difference between a real Steinway, Gigasampler, P80, PC2x, Xv-88 AND the SRX-02.http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

Archived