Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland SRX-02 piano expansion board

garyd

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own it, and I use it all the time..... I haven't recorded anything with it though... but it sounds pretty good live. It especially sounds good for solo piano practicing.... if you don't have the luxury of having a grand to practice on. In my opinion... it sounds much better than the stock set.... but most of the pianos on the SRX board are a little darker and mellower than the stock pianos. The stock pianos tend to be brighter and possibly more usable in a band situation... of course, nothing even comes close to a real piano. It all depends on what kind of music you do..... I find that for most rock and harder, faster stuff... I prefer the stock pianos... but for classical, soft rock and solo piano... I prefer the SRX board. So, try to find a place to play it for yourself.... YOU must make the decision. OH.... and about the money, I don't know if I would have payed $300 for it.... I was able to get mine for $125... and don't even ask, because I can't get another at that price. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• 1 month later...
Check this out. Purgatory Creek did a Digital Piano Shoot out using the the same MIDI file, they made an MP3 for each digital piano. You can hear for yourself the difference between a real Steinway, Gigasampler, P80, PC2x, Xv-88 AND the SRX-02.http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

Will the piano sounds on the SRX Concert Piano card sound the same in the RD-700 as if the card were being used with the XV-88? (i.e., are the sound and effects architectures of the two pieces the same, or will the board sound substandard on the less expansive RD-700 as Roland's way of getting you to buy the XV-88?)

What about Rolands XV-5080?

If I want to play East West's Steinway B sample, can Roland's XV-5080 hold it? Can it hold Emagic's Computer Plug in Rhodes?

The Emagic EVP-88 electric piano model will only work under their Logic Audio software. The Roland XV-5080, if you add sample RAM, will play back Roland and Akai format samples. With Akai stuff, I don't know if you get voice data or merely the raw samples.

I don't know about the RD-700 vs XV thing. The Roland SRX board is probably the best ROM-based piano sound for recording, but I agree with whoever said that for live use, espeically in a rock-dance-pop context, it doesn't cut. I use the stock pianos on a Yamaha S-80 for that.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Word has it that the original SRX-02 Board had some techinical problems (certain notes out of tune, etc). Apparently, Roland has re-issued a second version of this Board which is supposed to address these problems. Make sure you're buying the latest version!

Jim

Archived