Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Role of the Arts

Thought this was rather on point given the expanded scope of all forums these days, and those of us who wonder when things will get back to normal ... if that's possible. * * * * * September 23, 2001 Peering Into the Abyss of the Future By JOHN ROCKWELL The clouds came boiling up the street and obliterated every thing and every body. Inside, said those who were there, the world looked dark, murky, ghostly. People were disoriented; they lost their bearings. We have all lost our bearings. Artists, especially, whom we presume to be particularly sensitive to our dilemmas and our dreams, are peering apprehensively into the abyss of the future. What do they, and we who love the arts and believe they are important, see there? What is the role of the arts in the present crisis, and how will the arts change in response to the new circumstances in which we live? More: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/arts/23ROCK.html?ex=1002274869&ei=1&en=1b2

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Marvster: [b] Peering Into the Abyss of the Future Artists, especially, whom we presume to be particularly sensitive to our dilemmas and our dreams, are peering apprehensively into the abyss of the future. Blah, Blah, Blah [/b][/quote] Well, not to sound like an asshole. But my experience with todays 'Artists", is that they are self centered, egotistical spoiled little brats who expect to be adored by the world. Not saying that they are all like that. I know there are some real artists out there who's only focus is art. But calling the majority of todays movie stars, actors, is a stretch, and calling the bland mediocre garbage being put out by "Musicians", ART, is a joke. So,I for one, am not looking at what this "sensitive' group of people do or think. As most of them have as much personal depth as a puddle. Just my opinion.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived