Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jump start a DX7, with what?

Hello all.

I have a sick idea??

To press the power button on my old DX7.

But now is the time for all of you to come with ideas to make it sing again.

I like to add fx, run it trough anything.

So, give some ideas of gear, boxes or special fx to hook up to this old monster and probably get interesting results.

three... two... one...GOOO

------------------

--Smedis,--

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Run it thru a filter and a effect unit (reverb probably)

I think the filters would do wonders to smooth out the dx7 sound (which I've never cared about too much).

Rod

I really like the last guy's idea. In fact, I tried it, ran my original dx thru my peavey analog filter and my quadraverb +, and it breathed new life into an old friend. It's time to dig out the 5 or 6000 sounds I have and have a good old musical revival!!

Jay

Yeah, this is my idea with this thread.

I also have thousands of sounds for it, but must say that they are a bit..well...actually boring.

I still love the DX, even though it sounds awful these days, and I don't need it because I have two kurzweils. But I learnt to program it and I belive it's because of that I have feelings for it.

But if it sounds bad, do something about it!!

I don't know if it will take me anywhere, but maybe have some fun while I'm doing it.

The filter I'm thinking of buying is Electrix Filterfactory.

Anyone have opinion of that piece??

------------------

--Smedis,--

Frankly, I haven't heard either the Electrix Filter Factory ("Analog High Order Filter" as they put it) or the Sherman FilterBank (which has 2 independent low pass, band pass, and high pass filters with resonance, frequency and ADSR controls, as well as MIDI control). But if I was looking for such a product, I'd definitely go ahead and throw the Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter (by Big Briar) into the mix... pun intended.

At Zzounds.Com they are priced at $699.00 (Sherman), $299.00 (Electrix), and $269.00 (Moogerfooger). In reading about the functions and the specs, the Moogerfooger's the most basic, and although I've not heard it in the flesh, the MP3 sounds good. But something tells me that the bang-for-the-buck winner, with features comparable (though not quite equal in some ways) to the highest priced spread, is the Electrix for a mere thirty bucks more than the lowest in that group.

For me, I'm going to have to see what kind of results I can get out of the Nova (which will allow internal inputs to access the filters), because I've already got it. Don't know how to do it yet, or how effective it will be, but I like the price.

Archived