Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I KNOW one of you guys knows the answer to this...

DeepD

Silly question, considering I've been playing music since 1981...

What keyboards did Nick Rhoads use on the songs "Hungry Like The Wolf" and "Rio"? Please don't bash me...I've only been playing keyboards for four years. I'm in an 80's cover band, which is surprisingly (or some may say, disturbingly) popular here in Illinois/Iowa area (please no Illinois jokes...have at Iowa all you want).

Anybody know? I'm using a Yamaha CS2x, EX5r, Korg N364 and a newly-acquired Roland JX-10...up to this point I've done the arpeggiated lines of the above songs with the CS...but I just won't be satisfied until I know which board Nick used...

Thanks in advance...

Deep D

------------------

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe that he used The Fairlight, Crumar String Machine, Jupiter 8. It's been awhile since I read the article I'm quoting this from, and getting old sucks, so I may be wrong.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

His main axe for live was the Jupiter 8. All the arpeggiator stuff was the jupee I think.

I think I remember him using a Juno 106 live as well.

Speaking of duran duran.. how did he do the synth part in 'save a prayer'.. was that a step sequencer in one of the synths?

Last time I saw duran duran live (VH1 story teller) he still had the jupiter, a triton, and 3rd synth I can't remember.

Rod

Originally posted by joegerardi:

I believe that he used The Fairlight, Crumar String Machine, Jupiter 8. It's been awhile since I read the article I'm quoting this from, and getting old sucks, so I may be wrong.

Yes, Joe is right. Nick used to play those expensive toys in "The Reflex" and "New moon on Monday" songs... I guees he also used them for the songs you mention.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

He also used Prophet5 and Jupiter4 and Emulator. The juno I have my doubts about.

On stage he used: Fairlight, Prophet5, Crumar Performer string and Jupiter8 and various efx.

The synth line in "save a prayer" was an 8th note figure from Roland CSQ-100 sequencer with echo on it so it became 16th notes.

------------------

--Smedis,--

This message has been edited by smedis on 03-22-2001 at 03:13 PM

The synth line in "save a prayer" was an 8th note figure from Roland CSQ-100 sequencer with echo on it so it became 16th notes.

The echo part I knew.. I was curious as what had used for sequencer. Thx.

The PROPHET! That was the one I forgot. Thanks for refreshing an old memory. It was an issue of Keyboard with Rhodes playing a Poly-800 held by a Japanese police officer from quite a while ago.
Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Hey Stratman, I'm pretty darn close...I'm in Galesburg, bout 1/2 hour south. My band (Thrillsville) are regulars at RIBCO in Rock Island and The Pig Pen in Clinton, IA. Where are you?

Thanks everyone for the replies...I just KNEW you'd know!

Peace!

Steve "DeepD" Davis

Thrillsville

www.thrillsville.net

Galesburg, IL

Well duh, Stratman, I guess I could have checked your profile. East Moline, huh? Are you in a band? Our drummer, Tommy Guild used to be in Lynn Allen in the late 80's, and our bass player, Shubie, was in Iowa with Bill Peiffer for a while. I've been singing in bands around here since '81...used to play at Center Stage, etc. Tell me a little about yourself, if you get the chance...

See ya!

Steve

P.S. I think we're gonna be at RIBCO on May 12th (the night of Sting!)...come check us out if you get the chance...

Because of your question, I've now been humming on "hungry like a wolf" for 24h.(well, 6h sleep of these) http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/cwm2/sleep.gif

I remember now, how much I liked them, and how proud I was that I own a Crumar Performer String Synth myself. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I sold the Crumar, Jupiter4 and a Micromoog to a lycky person for 300$ in 85. How silly I was. http://cwmonkey.virtualave.net/s/cwm/angryfire.gif

------------------

--Smedis,--

I also remember reading that the Arcadia song "Election Day" was originally made using the step sequencer on a Poly 800 !

Can't get more simplistic than that !

I also saw that VH1 storytellers a while back.

Nick Rhodes had a powerbook that he was triggering sounds off of.

I couldn't really make out what software was being used the screen.

The sounds were being triggered by keyboard on the powerbook.

And I don't care what anyone says, but Duran Duran had many great songs w/cool synth sounds included.

Nick Rhodes was also interviewed recently for a British tv program on Synthesizers. I didn't get to check it out, since I live in the US, but I'm sure he obviously talked about gear on that show.

Alon

Archived