Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OUTBOARD SEQUENCING

Hi all! I'm still somewhat of a newbie and had a question for you guys. I just bought a MIDI interface so I can do sequencing on my computer. I bought a MOTU MIDI Express XT and using Digital Performer. I downloaded some .mid files from the net and loaded them into Digital Performer. When I played them back it seemed that my Korg Triton didn't map the correct instruments. Is there a setting on my keyboard I need to adjust when using an outboard sequencer, or in my computer sequencer, or should I just expect for this to happen when loading files such as these?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I downloaded some .mid files from the net and loaded them into Digital Performer. When I played them back it seemed that my Korg Triton didn't map the correct instruments. Is there a setting on my keyboard I need to adjust when using an outboard sequencer, or in my computer sequencer, or should I just expect for this to happen when loading files such as these?

Most .mid files in the internet are GM (general midi) compatible. The GM convention specifies specific instruments (128) total. Most synths have either a GM bank or a GM mode that follows the convention (Patch 000 is piano, patch 001 is another type of piano, then organs, guitar, bass and so forth.. not in this order necessarily). If the bank doesn't follow the GM convention, then the piano part will sound like an organ, guitar, or even a drums!

The easiest way to do this is if you Triton has a GM Mode (I thought it did), you need to switch that on and the triton should understand the patch change commands that are being send by the sequencer.

The second alternative (more complicated) is to setup a multibral mix in the Triton, but then you have to review all the patch change commands.

I had to be vague since I'm not familiar with the triton, but check your manual, for GM mode or GM bank or General midi compatibility.

the triton has in fact various GM soundsets located in Bank G (GM). This bank exists as any other bank in the triton, and it even has a button right there next to banks ABCDE and F. I really never use the G bank, but they seem pretty decent. They are meant to play .mid and are arranged in the proper position (piano 001, etc.), but, are recalled WHEN Triton reads .mid files by itself (thru its disk drive). If you want to use and external sequencer I´m afraid you will have to assign the proper voicings each time to the sequencer tracks in triton (assuming thats the way you work along with your sequencing software); the numbers on the program changes are the same as specified in the .mid file, so it's not obscure to do so, just painful. UNLESS, and this I ignore, there is a way for your external sequencer to select ONLY Bank G sounds, and I do not know MOTU's DP, but I bet somenone in here can answer that.

The other way to go is a lot easier, but you would be bypassing the whole external sequencer idea: put a floppy containing the .mid file and play it directly from your sequencer. OR you could put the file in triton, and THEN hit play on Performer (previously setting program change send to OFF) and voilá, the sounds would already have been selected. Also a pain. I would just put the file in triton y ya. Good Luck.

memo.

Archived