Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Magazine Suggestions

Steve44

Along the lines of my previous thread, I want to have a good discussion regarding possible new articles to suggest Keyboard to run. I actually just thought of one and couldn't find Greg Rule's email address (though now I have) and figured maybe I'd post it here to see what y'all think.

While Keyboard recently did a Midi Orchestration issue, there is one composer I really want to see Keyboard interview: Alf Clausen, who has blessed us with his excellent orchestrations for the best show on Television, The Simpsons. Unlike the James Newton Howard thing, though, I would really like it to focus on the way that Clausen blends such a wide range of styles into the fabric of one episode. In other words, while I would like to see a snippet about his technology and creative process, I want to hear more specifically how he orchestrates and composes for the cartoon medium, a sort of super flexible film score.

Anyhow, you're free to continue this thread with comments on this, or your own suggestion for new Keyboard articles or features.

-Steve

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good topic.

...I really want to see Keyboard interview: Alf Clausen, who has blessed us with his excellent orchestrations for the best show on Television, The Simpsons...

Didn't Danny Elfman do that??

I second the suggestion however... something like the master classes, but more how a particular composer does voicings, or maybe how to combine different types of synthesizer sounds etc.

Personally, I like when the focus is keyboards; gear and technique. If I want to read about microphones, i'll buy one of the other pubs.

Also, maybe when the gear reviews are done, throw a few 'hot tips' in there. I think future music does that.

Rod

I think this topic will receive a lot of posts.

I mostly focus on reviews. In reviews of keyboards and soft synths, I want to know how cool are the factory sounds out of the box. Which presets in particular impressed the reviewer? What types of sounds does this product excel in? What types of sounds are weak?

How easy is it to program your own sounds? Are menus deeply nested or can you just grab a knob and go? What MIDI controllers are specifically supported by the soft synths being reviewed that will enable one to easily program sounds?

On sampling CD reviews, I ALWAYS want to know about licensing! Do you have to credit the CD in your release, for example?

I would also LOVE to see monthly "how-to" columns about specific DAWs, as in Sound On Sound's Logic Notes and Cubase Notes columns. How about Performer Notes, ProTools Notes, and Cakewalk Notes?

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I'd like to see a discussion of general sound design ideas.. if possible with input from professional sound designers.

For example.. for emulating Brass on a polysynth, how is it typically done?What are some variations? What are some 'famous' examples (cite the cd, have the mp3 examples)?

I suspect that many readers have access to multiple types of synthesis/sound-design these days, with the advent of soft synths and soft samplers. There is no reason to restrict the discussion to analog style synthesis, perhaps comparative discussions would be beneficial.

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

This message has been edited by Tusker on 03-17-2001 at 06:59 AM

I'd like to see a series of articles based on the synthesizer lineage. Complete with transcriptions, mp3s and synth patches.

Here's an example of what I mean:

Begin with the first synth. Discuss who's playing epitomized that instrument, give a short transcription, and reference it to a downloadable mp3 or midi file and patch, if possible. The series might take a full year, but it would be worth it.

For the saxophone, I was taught the lineage of the sax. That teaching gave me strong roots with my instrument. And it has considerably increased the depth of my resources. A series like this for synthesizer could increase the depth of its players. In turn, creating better music.

This message has been edited by transrational on 03-17-2001 at 02:29 PM

Alf Clausen and his music for the Simpson was covered in a very in-depth article in the January 1993 issue of Keyboard.

BTW here's what I would like to see in the future:

-Complete, exhaustive reviews of new instruments. I know it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Also, more instruments and less software, please. There are important instruments that never had a review (Waldorf Wave, for one). Plus, Short Takes for updates and new versions.

-Regular interviews with programmers, with specific questions on how they obtained specific sounds.

-More articles on piano technique. Not just basic level, please. I am *still* working on some of Jeff Pressing's exercises and advises. Its column ran during the eighties, and it was wonderful.

At this point I'm compelled to make a remark about a recent "Keyboard Basics" column, where Tom Brislin suggested the classic warm-up of playing a note while holding all the other fingers down. Well, modern piano teaching (from Gyorgy Sandor on) says this is not good, as a first warm-up at least, and can result harmful for some hands. Of course this is not the right place to talk about hand position and arm weight, but I couldn't help to point it out.

On with the wishes:

-An article and interview with Josef Zawinul. A long, deep, complete one. Long overdue. Keyboard did a fantastic job on Joe in the March '84 issue, then a very small coverage a few years later, then nothing. In the meantime, Joe made gobs of great and important music, and Keyboard ran three *full-length* articles on David Bryan, three on Trent Reznor... Please acknowledge the inventor of modern synth playing, and help young musician to understand where it all came from, and what level of musicianship a keyboard player can achieve.

Sorry. I had to pull it out of my chest... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

AS usually, I hope my English is OK

marino

I've been reading Keyboard for 15 years, and I've had the opportunity to watch it morph with the different editors and staff.

Right now, I think they have lost their balance. There have been periods of time when they really hit a sweet spot, and others when the issues were quite boring.

I can't be too critical, because I really can't pinpoint what I don't like about the current issues. So many of the columns are good. "KeyTracks", "Synth Tricks", "20 Years ago Today", "Keyboard of the Month", "Workspace", etc. These are all great sections. It's the main features that I perhaps find disappointing.

My main gripe might be the ads, which has nothing to do with Keyboard. I have been reading more and more of "Sound on Sound", partially because the ads are more intelligent. It's the same manufacturers, but somehow the content they show overseas is more mature. A British ad for the K2600 goes into great detail with features, and provides a well written introductory paragraph. The American ad has a few short statements, a slogan, and a large photo. It's as if the American ad is tailored to the MTV generation. And it's not just Kurzweil. You see this trend with most of the major manufacturers.

Back to Keyboard...

What I would like to see is more emphasis on playing and gear reviews. I don't pay much attention to the articles about careers and contracts, as I never intend to make music a profession. I haven't seen any mention of Igor Khoroshev (recent keyboardist with Yes), and only one interview with Jordan Rudess in the last ten years (perhaps one of the most incredible players out there). I was disappointed that the Reason review went to EQ first, and it hasn't even appeared in the "Now Shipping" section.

Overall, Keyboard is still my favorite magazine, and I hope that the balance swings back to playing. If I see another ad for breakbeats or construction kits, I think I'm going to vomit...

All the best,

Wiggum

This message has been edited by Wiggum on 03-18-2001 at 04:40 PM

Originally posted by marino:

-Regular interviews with programmers, with specific questions on how they obtained specific sounds.

-More articles on piano technique. Not just basic level, please. I am *still* working on some of Jeff Pressing's exercises and advises. Its column ran during the eighties, and it was wonderful.

marino

I agree. A series on synth programming and sound design would be

great. Maybe Jim Aikin will take it on as his next project? I'd like

to see something systematic (that's why I thought of Jim Aikin)

about how, and in what order, to apply LFOs, filters, and effects to

a sample, to help make the programming process a little less hit-or-

miss.

Speaking of hit-or-miss, I think that's a good description of the

Master Classes lately. Some are helpful, some aren't. I thought the

Michael McDonald and Richard Tee classes were really useful. What

I'm mostly looking for in a Master Class is "How to sound like

[insert player name here]", not an interview about touring, recording

contracts, etc. I realize that many great players will have trouble

summarizing how they achieve their sound in a systematic way, but

that's the ideal. I also agree that there should be more articles

focusing on keyboard technique at the advanced and intermediate level -

articles that will help me enhance the way I practice, compose, and

play.

Here's an idea - get Rick Richards to explain how he gets those guitar

sounds out of a keyboard. In general, I'd like to see tips on how to

use pitch bend and modulation to get more realistic articulation.

I've discovered some useful things with sax and bass sounds, but I'd

like to see what others have come up with.

Sorry that this is so stream-of-consciousness.

------------------

Mark A.

New Mexico St. Univ.

Mark A.

New Mexico St. Univ.

Archived