Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard controller, or full-on synth for me?

HeavyPet

I think this is touching on some posts that have been here recently, so I hope I'm not being totally redundant.

I'm a songwriter and a drummer, and can also play a little rhythm guitar. I generally compose with the guitar and a sequenced drum track (usually play the notes live into the sequencer via an edrum kit). Anyway..

Every year I say to myself, "gonna learn some piano someday. gonna do it!" and I never do. I *do* have a synth sound fetish, and I love playing with sounds, like on the Roland JD990 rack that's hooked up to Cakewalk. I'm always interested in playing with sounds, but I'm beginning to be interested in actually getting my fingers on the plastics themselves.

So in the interests of possibly purchasing a physical keyboard, I have to wonder if I should get

A) a controller keyb like a Fatar, and stick with my 990 for a brain, or

B) a new full-on synth/workstation/woopycushion, like a 2600S or XS.

I would hope for something with a physical key action that would be conducive to learning, and pleasurable enough to keep me coming back! I've learned about the value of quality instrumentation: when it's good, then it's really FUN to play, and so I'm more likely to learn it some more! Anyway..

My corollary question is: Is 88-keys important? Is 76 okay?

I must say I'm not wild about the 990's piano sound: I'm not sure that it'd be really happy-making when triggered from a controller. Not sure.

thanks for any info or pointers!

-Glenn

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the keys are concerned, it's really a matter of personal taste.

I like to have both. I have a 88 weighted key controller and 2 synth style keyboards. You really don't need the 88 keys, but there's not a lot of synths/controllers in the market with 76 weighted keys. If you want to learn piano, by all means get weighted keys, IMO. There's some stuff I like to play with the soft synth-type keys. But certain pieces I can't get the right feel unless I'm playing a weigted kybd (may just be poor technique).

I'm not too familiar with the JD, but I would try a couple of the newer synths, you'd be surprised at what has changed in the last 10 yrs or so. Go over what the features are in some of the new stuff, and see what interests you.

Rod

I think that 76 keys is enough, but there aren't many 76 key Keyboards that are weighted and feel good for piano learning. Besides, an 88 key Fatar is only $500. On that note, your comparison is rather wacky: should you buy a $500 keyboard or a $3000 keyboard/workstation/"steinway of synthesizers"? If I were a salesman and you came into my store, I would certainly convince you to buy the Kurzweil. And you would dig it, but you'd be out 3 Grand.

So here's a short and honest response to your main question: When thinking about using various separate pieces of gear (controller, rack mount synth, midi interface, computer sequencer) you have to factor in the amount of time and possible aggravation that having all these tools may cost you. If you're looking to get into midi sequencing, recording songs, exploring harmonies, but your not going to be gigging, then going with separates is a pretty good idea. It can save you money and can work pretty well.

On the other hand, if you want to perform with this thing, you need to buy an instrument, not a bunch of tools. Then the loss of time for figuring out how you're going to connect the pieces will really get in the way.

On that note, buying a wonderful keyboard like a Triton or a K2600 is a great idea, because it allows you tons of flexibility in performing without having any blocks to the creative process. It's great for studio work too, but it shines in performance.

In addition, as you seem to not be a keyboardist, I would honestly recommend something on a completely different level than what you're talking about: something like a Roland EM-10 which is only $170, has velocity sensing synth-action keys, a midi interface, a serial connection (so you don't need to buy anything to hook it up to your computer) and 225 good quality Roland (but way newer than the 990) samples. It would let you get into midi sequencing, using sounds that are pretty realistic, without having the hassle of getting lots of gear.

Archived