Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth for a beginner

speedy

I need some advice on a Synth for a beginner. I read through the forum & it sound like the Yamaha S-80 is the way to go in the $1500 price range. I am not familiar with MIDI but enjoy computers/technology/quality sound. I played by ear for years but want to learn the right way & don't want a toy. Also what do you recommend for an amplifier set up? Looking for flexibility in the equipment that I can slowly & easily grow into. All opinions & advice are appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you narrow it down a bit for us? What kind of music do you play? Have you gone to the music store and played on any of them yet? That's still the best gauge...even if you think that you don't know that much, you know what you like...

Go try a bunch of them and see which one(s) your ears and hands like the best, and then bring back specific questions. You'll probably find that you'll get more useful feedback if you do it that way.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Dave's right about narrowing it down. What kind of sounds are important to you? Know that first; if you don't know just yet, picture yourself playing "something." What's it sound like? (I'm pretty visual, so that trick works well for me.)

Music stores can be very distracting, so go during off-hours. Listen with headphones, too.

The S80 is a great keyboard, and in the up to $1500 range, that'd be my pick. For amplification, I don't know. In what venues do you see yourself? Think PA, most likely. Carvin is excellent for that.

Hi there,

Where will you use your equipment?

If you plan to setup a homebased one, you might consider a masterkeyboard, sound module and use your computer for sequensing. If that is so, you can also use your stereo for amplification.

Only you know what your plan is, tell us and we'll help.

------------------

--Smedis,--

Thanks for all of your advice. I will definitely go to my local music store & test drive however if my plan is ultimately get myself trained to also play a conventional piano, shouldn't I get a keyboard with weighted keys and if that is the case isn't the S-80 the most likely candidate in the $1500 range? Is there a book I can get that talks about what sequencing, workstations, MIDI, and all the other technicalities a beginner should be aware of?

I will probably start playing top 40 music but my music interests are vast. This will be homebased, so I love the idea of connecting this system through my home stereo. I have pretty decent equip. but I have never hooked up anything through it..Should I have a separate preamp/amp and what else might I need... I know I have a lot of questions but I am so anxious to get going & don't want to make a mistake. Thanks for your help & bear with me. I can see that this forum is just what I need. Thanks

Archived