Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The sound of the sounds

joegerardi

Hey, my Oberhiem DPX-1 came in last night. I hooked it up, and was loading disks into it, and I noticed something:

This ancient, 12-bit at best, dinosaur of a sample player sounds SO much better than my QSR. In fact, it sounds better than a lot of stuff I've heard lately.

It got me to thinking...

There is so much more presence to this beast. It seems that the older synths always had that up-front sound which is gone from today's wundersynths. The Hammonds are so biting, and well, uncompressed sounding. Same for everything else, but I include the Hammonds because it was one of the main reasons I got the QSR, to get Emo's Tarkus era C-3, which was sampled for this unit.

Why is it that today's synths, with all their higher-tech DAC and ADC, and higher bit rate technology can't sound as ballsy as a 16-year old EII? Are the samples we're getting in these new machines compressed or something? Is everyone sampling off records, and using a comressed sample to start with? There's a disk that came with the DPX-1 of Roland Jupiter synths, and God, they sound just to much more well, THERE than these new do-all and be-all units.

So what's the scoop? Any of you have any comments? Ideas? And, oh, yeah, as my tax return gets closer, and recommendations for the next item in the rack, or for on top of the KX76? I'm only gonna drop about a grand, so it's probably going to have to be used.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 02-28-2001 at 02:42 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived