Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD-ROM Drives

Jon_dup3

I have recently purchased an E-MU 5000 Sampler and I now need to purchase CD-ROM drive. I am looking for a retailer who knows samplers and CD-ROM drives; I have a list of drives from E-MU. Any suggestions? Thank You.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of any retailers. Anyway, my own experience is that it's not the retailer, it's the people working there that have the knowledge. It can vary by shift at any given store, depending on who's on duty. You can go in one day, and no one knows which thumb to suck. Go in another day, and you wonder what someone with so much knowledge and familiarity is doing working there.

If you plan on recording, you want a CD-RW drive. I don't think the spin makes any difference on the quality, but as one would guess, the higher the spin, the faster the job might get done. I say, might, because the speed depends on variables other than just the ratings. I think the oversampling and other specs you need to know are printed right on the box the drive comes in.

You might want to forward your question to Stereo Review. I know their expertise is hifi equipment, not music equipment. But the technologies overlap each other.

I have to disagree with Jim's comments.

If I understood correctly you are looking for a CD-ROM drive to load sample libraries. Faster read rates do not necessarily equate to getting the job done faster. A lot of samplers can't use read speeds greater than 4x, for example, so it would be a waste of money. Oh, and the drive has to be SCSI (probably knew that already). By all means try to go by emu's list... I've countless people with problems with other drives. Unfortunately emu is not great for keeping the list current for some of their samplers, so you may find that the models don't exist.

Check out www.emulatorarchive.com. It's a good resource, and there's a very good user's list. Check out the list archive and I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseaum.

In general unless people are familiar with the emu they cannot make a proper recommendation for a drive. I personally woulnd't bother with stereo review... the application is different.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Rod,

Both your counterpoints are well taken. It sounds like you're pointing Jon in the right direction. At any rate, I hope he's able to record a great collection of sample libraries.

Jim

I was just looking through the catalog from www.Soundchaser.com and saw at the end a Plextor 12x Scsi CD-Rom that they recommended to be used both for samplers and for a source drive for copying CD's. Apparently this is the drive that Microboards uses in their copying machines as the source drive. While it's true that CD-Recorders and Rewriters have really come down in price, it's good to have a reliable reader for your sampler.

Here's a link to Soundchaser's CDRom/CDR page. They are definitely a reliable company that deals in both music hardware and computer hardware, and also sells software.

http://soundstore.holdit.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?category=8&x=2

P.S. I hope you got the free CDRom's with that Emu, I think it was supposed to come with 10 CD's...

This message has been edited by Steve44 on 04-13-2001 at 01:38 AM

Unless it's cost prohibitive, go right to the source. EMu has a few packages available on their web site--a Toshiba SCSI cd drive and several cds that don't come with the sampler.

k.

Does it really matter? I bought the cheapest CD-ROM at Frys, a 24x speed no-name, and it works great with my Roland S760. Just get it somewhere like Comp USA who will let you exchange it if it doesn't work with the sampler. Unless you're going to be touring with the Rolling Stones or something, I don't think you have to go nuts on the CD drive. -jl

I agree with that, except that it's hard to find an external SCSI CD-Rom reader nowadays. My father was looking for one to go with his Sun laptop and couldn't find one anywhere at Fry's. There are plenty of writers and rewriters around, but to find a scsi reader only is becoming quite difficult.

Archived