Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth sound in M.Jackson's "Beat it" - what's that?

Jg42

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sound can be easily achieved by any sampler today. Sample the sound of two water pipes hiting each other, transpose the sample

pitch down by 2 octaves; edit the sample start point and there you have it. I created

this one on the Mirage long time ago. A question for the Korg keyboard owners, the Korg M-;T- has a PCM sound that I forgot what it called, it sounds like a water pipe hit,

can the 'bang' sound be created on these keyboard ?

Hooked on Keys...

Originally posted by Keyman:

A question for the Korg keyboard owners, the Korg M-;T- has a PCM sound that I forgot what it called, it sounds like a water pipe hit

I believe you are referring to the often-sampled "Pole" sound...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Keyman:

Does any one think the Korg M- & T- are capable to create this sound ?

You betcha - it's definitely part of that series' signature sound set. In the M1, the program is called "Pole". Don't remember the exact patch number, but I wanna say somewhere in the 20's...?

I think it also appears in a few of the drum kits, if memory serves...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

That sound at the beginning of "Beat It" was the Synclavier I. I know this because I owned the Synclavier demonstration record (!), a lovely clear vinyl thing that had a multitude of sound snippets on Side 1 (including a frighteningly realistic solo violin and the "Beat It" phrase) and a realization of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" done by Patrick Gleason on Side 2

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that Q sampled (stole) the snippet right off the record.

For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to that demo record. Lost in the shuffle, I guess.

K.

Re: The Korg M1 "Pole"

I found that is you transposed it up 2 octaves and adjusted the reverb just a little bit, it was an almost exact copy of the sound Tony Banks used in "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight." When we did it live, all the other keyboard players were asking for a copy of my "sample."

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 01-26-2001 at 02:21 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by ksoper:

That sound at the beginning of "Beat It" was the Synclavier I. I know this because I owned the Synclavier demonstration record (!), a lovely clear vinyl thing that had a multitude of sound snippets on Side 1 (including a frighteningly realistic solo violin and the "Beat It" phrase) and a realization of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" done by Patrick Gleason on Side 2

It wouldn't surprise me one bit that Q sampled (stole) the snippet right off the record.

For the life of me, I can't remember what happened to that demo record. Lost in the shuffle, I guess.

K.

This is a little late, but I just read the post. I recall that clear vinyl Synclavier demo well. It was indeed cool. And I remember thinking two things when I heard the "Beat It" sound. One, neat sound. Two, if I were to use that sound NOW, it would be like saying I'd written "Yesterday". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I mean the sound is SO recognizable, that any use of it seems like plagiarism. That's the thing about some synth sounds. And if you come up with a great one yourself, it almost behooves you to keep it secret until you at least have a go at putting it on your own production FIRST. Otherwise, someone uses it, makes it KNOWN, and then it's like that sound's dime has been spent. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived