Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No sequencing software?

Dave Bryce

Okay, so you obviously have a computer, or you wouldn't be posting to this forum. However, you are still using something other than a software program to record your synths and other MIDI instruments. Maybe you're using a workstation, or a dedicated hardware sequencer, or maybe you just record your synths right to tape...

Why are you using your current platform?

Are you happy with it?

Are you planning to change any time soon?

If so, what are you checking out?

Inquiring minds want to know...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave:

I play to tape. I consider myself to be a player, not a studio programmer. For the 23 years I gigged, there were only 2 instances of using a sequencer, and those were just a repeating pattern, not songs. I figured that if I couldn't play it, I wouldn't play it.

That said, when recording in the studio, the engineer would run the keyboards through a sequencer. That way, if I was on a really good take, and just messed up 1 or 2 notes, we could remove the clams and still have the take that fit best.

Dave,

We're using primarily an Akai/MPC-2000-XL

when we're not using Studio Vision Pro, or Logic Platinum, Digital Performer,or Cubase VST. Of the software app.'s we use Logic Platinum, & Studio Vision Pro the most.

No real plans of changing anytime soon.

I will say that the "MPC'" just has it's own feel, even though the clock in it is not as stable as software sequencers.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

Originally posted by DBENNVA@hotmail.com:

I will say that the "MPC'" just has it's own feel, even though the clock in it is not as stable as software sequencers.

I hear that.

There are a bunch of folks who feel that way about the MPC series. I even know people who swear that the 60 and the 60 MkII were the only ones that had the righteous timing feel. I have never used the 2000, but I didn't notice anything real feel difference between the 60 units and the 3000...

..of course, I never used them side by side...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I even know people who swear that the 60 and the 60 MkII were the only ones that had the righteous timing feel.

Heh-heh...yeah, they had their own feel. I work with the product development manager who was at Akai back then, and he confirmed what I'd always suspected about the MPCs: they slow down! Now, this is only the case with long sequences, but with friends who do 13 minutes trance/techno compositions, this can be a problem.

Don't get me wrong...I like working with them. Recorded tons of hip-hop and r&b stuff that never would have existed without MPCs.

- Jeff

Yeah, without the MPC's, there would be no RnB or HipHop...

They are easily the most used Seq. for the above mentioned styles...

The SP and ASR are the two other most used for R n B HipHop...

Dave,

I record audio on a Roland VS-1680 digital mixer/multitrack recorder which I am gonna trade soon for a Yamaha AW-4416 unless Roland comes out with a 32-tracker; and I sequence MIDI on drum machines, grooveboxes, and other devices like that. All runs on a Midi master clock from the VS itself, which is VERY stable and reliable. I even use t on live gigs, with tempo changes and all.

I obviously own a computer but I've never done any music on it. Just graphics, accounting and the Web. And since the industry is moving away from the computer-only platforms, and developing more all-in-one hardware solutions, I certainly have no intentions of ever moving on software.

I am actually waiting, within the end of the year, for a 32-track machine from Roland or Yamaha that also does Midi. You'll see, they'll make it.

Max.

Max Ventura, Italy.

i use 2 1680 slaved to each other for 32 tracks. This works fine for me. i like to mic my analog synths through an old ampeg. Seems to beef up my bass parts alot. I use Cubase an an old version of proTools to edit with and for effects and since they are slaved to the 1680 also it all works fairly well. I use alot of external effects in my music so just about any kind of audio toy is useful. The little amps like the micro marshalls and fenders are fun since they give a really cool distortion unlike a pedal or larger amp. Put that in an oven and it's a cool reverb.

Archived