Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sequencing software?

Dave Bryce

So...

What sequencing software are you currently using?

Are you happy with it?

How long have you been using it?

Have you changed programs/and/or platforms over the last five years or so? If yes, why?

I started off with Dr. T's KCS on an Atari 1040, but that was a way long time ago. I have been using Performer since v. 2.41 back in the 1980s - currently running DP 2.7 (yeah, I know, I need to get 2.72) and just loving it.

I have had a few opportunities to switch to VST and Logic; however, I kinda don't want to take the time to get to the point of familiarity with a new program that I have achieved with DP.

How about you?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started with Hybrid Arts SMPTE-Track on an Atari 1040. (actually, in the early eighties I did an attempt to use a Commodore 64 with Siel software... urgh!!)

I switched over to Cubase Score, still on Atari, but on a Mega STE 4. This baby runs on 16 mHz, twice as much as the old 1040ST.

Today I still use this. For audio I use an Akai DR4d. Latency? No sir!

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

I started out with MOTU performer on a Mac SE, which was the blisteringly fast computer of it's day http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Today I have VST, but lately I have been on an Acid kick, just tracking things straight to Audio. The only sequencing I am doing these days is build loops or textures (with some midi control) in VST. However I am tracking in Acid as soon as possible. It is as easy to use as those old 4 track portastudios. Do I miss the efx busses, softsynths and other goodies from VST? Nah.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hey Dave,

I started on Performer, then a friend I was doing some writing with (a Logic user)gave me a quick leson on Logic and for me, I found it to be the best sequencing software I had ever used. Screensets, its method of quantizing, screensets, ease of editing, screensets, linked windows, (did I mention screensets, a huge time saver) etc. it's very cool. Once you get through the learning curve (which can be greatly accelerated if someone who really knows it takes you through it oncs or twice), it kicks. Ah, but then I had to give back the Mac I was using and switch over to PC where Logic is still an awesome MIDI program, but I run into difficulty with getting enough audio tracks. But I think that's more of a Windows thing than a Logic thing. That said, I'm currently using DP on a PowerBook (for MIDI) and it's working great, I'm just not as much of a speed demon on it yet.

see ya,

steadyb

I started on Master Tracks on the Commodore 64. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Later I moved up to Cakewalk for DOS, then the Windows versions. I finally gave up on Cakewalk during the version 4 or 5 and moved over to Logic.

Logic has come a long way on the PC side and now its finally identical in features to the Mac version. With all of Logic's realtime MIDI features, environments and screensets it is really an amazing way to work.

-Mike

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

David,

I'm a doctor now? Great!

Logic allows you to store up to 99 screen sets, which is simply an arrangment of windows for different types of working.

For example if you are doing a mixdown or a recording session, you might want to view a combination of mixer and effects windows. Compared to a sequencing environment where you may wish to toggle between combinations of score, event editor and arrangement views.

Its a really great way to work, so with a press of one or two keys, your display is rearranged with a new set of tools.

------------------

Mike Martin

Kurzrep@aol.com

Kurzweil Music Systems

www.kurzweilconnection.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Cakewalk 9

Started with sequencers fairly recently.. I've been playing for the past 13 years but really only gotten into it last year when I got home studio for xmas. I upgraded to the full version sometime in the summer.

I'm fairly happy with it, and I plan to stick with it since there's not too much else in the PC platform. Then again I don't have much to compare too. I'd rather stick to a piece of software I know well, and since I have plenty of outboard gear VST and soft synths in general don't interest me too much (yet), so I don't plan to make the switch to cubase. Buying a MAC is not an option right now due to (1) money; music is just a hobby for me, and (2) space, I don't know where I would put a 2nd computer, since I can't get rid of my PC (I need it for work).

Plus the user base for cakewalk is quite remarkable. Between a online forum and a couple of newsgroups I've had good luck of getting my questions answered.

There's definitely things about cw that annoy me. And just about with any other software I have and my synths. So I plan to stick with it for now.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hey, B...

Both you and Dr. Martin mentioned this feature. I must admit, I am not familiar with screensets...what's the deal? Tell me about them, if you please...

You have the ability to have an arrange page, an event list page, graphic edit page, etc. up to 99 screensets. What's coolest is to have your most common screensets setup to go with number keys 1 through 9 arr., score, event, audio, mixer and so on. And within a set you can have multiple linked windows, so you could have a small arrange window on the same page as say, your graphic edit window, linked so that you click on any part, on any track, (in the arrange window), and your graphic edit display changes to show that part. No double clicking every time you want to edit values on different parts.

This may have been more info than you needed, but you know me, once I get going...

steadyb

I also started on an Atari 1040 but with Steinberg's Pro 24, a dog of a sequencer. If you looked at it wrong or even didn't hold your mouth just right it would lock up on you. I switched to Dr. T's KCS. I later bought a used Quadra 700 and bought Master Tracks and Encore which are very easy to use(if you know to do certain things in Mastertracks before importing to Encore, otherwise-brickwall city) I've used that up until now. I just bought a new Dell 933 PIII (I'm afraid to ask what you Mac folks do to traitors). I bought Finale 2001 and I am now in the market for a new powerful sequencer, and have been considering Logic. I am interested in getting into the VST synths also. I had been wondering though about how well that program works with Windows since it was originally Mac. I'm glad to see all the positive postings here from Logic Windows users. Any more of you out there? And any other comments from you posted Logic users? VST users?

Thanks,

Hum

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I also started with an Atari Mega 2 with C-Lab's Notator software. I used it for 12 years, never upgraded, but finally had to get a new computer because my dot-matrix printer died and no one wrote inkjet drivers for the Atari.

I upgraded to a Mac G3 and read a glowing review of Vision DSP. Then Sweetwater had Vision DSP on sale for $199, the local music store had Opcode's interface hardware half price, so I dove in. Exactly three weeks later I learn that Gibson has essentially disbanded Opcode.

I'm pretty happy with Vision, which is good since I can't upgrade it. I'll write again in 12 more years and let you guys know what I'm using next...

------------------

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I started out using Performer 5.02, and thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread. At that point in time, the tracks window simply showed blocks of color to indicate that there was MIDI data contained within a track. My, how things have changed!

Am now using DP 2.72. A friend of mine has tried to get me to switch over to Logic, but I can't imagine taking the time to learn a new program to the extent I already feel comfortable with DP. And, as time goes on, I think DP keeps getting better and better.

Jim W.

Logic Audio 4.6x on a Mac for me all the way. I started out with Steinberg Pro24 on an Atari ST but never got friendly with it. Then came Notator from C-Lab (never really liked Cubase) which was exactly the program I had dreamt about. Then I went to Mac and Notator Logic (which is now only "Logic") and have stuck with it.

Botch,

by the way, I remember there were lots of printer drivers, not only dot matrix, for the Atari ST. I used an old Canon bubble jet with no problems. I hate to think you had to abandon the Atari because of your dot matrix printer braking down.

I also started on an Atari 1040ST. I used Hybrid Art's SMPTE Tracks Platinum, and to this day find it to be the most efficient midi sequencer there is. You hardly ever have to go into a menu for anything, you just click on the right part of the screen.. it has so many features in that little screen.

I now use Logic and love its complexity and flexibility, however I wonder if I might do some things a bit faster in Cubase. I also sometimes wish I used Digital Performer, but for that I would need a Mac which I will not buy. Or to put it nicely, the only reason why I would buy a Mac is for DP. Oh and maybe Max/MSP. Oh and for the sake of the new TC Powercore system which looks supercool.

I've used everything on a PC from Cakewalk to Cubase. Now on my Mac I use PT 5.1, and the midi is great on it... they've really updated things to work more like other leading sequencers... wait... hrm... maybe I should have saved my cash and just bought one of the leading sequencers... oh well. :P.

-----------------------

Forum for the Media Arts

Originally posted by synthetic:

I'm using Pro Tools Free, I just can't argue with the price. I'm still in denial and waiting for the big Opcode comback, but maybe I should just get over that now.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I have heard rumors here at the NAMM show that we may not have heard the last of ol' Opcode...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Even if Opcode re-emerges, it won't be the "same old Opcode" unless they have the same development team.

Opcode's demise was a blessing in disguise, because it prompted me to try Logic and Cubase. I settled on Logic, and I've never looked back.

Archived