Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help phattening

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by smokinjoe@angelfire.com:

How can I phatten up the sounds?

I was thnking about getting a Mo Phat module,

but will it work with my Korg?

Either that or a roland XP-60.

Maybe an effects processor on the Korg would help - but I suspect that you're looking for more than that - and there's nothing like layering to fatten up a synth tone.

First of all, don't get an XP-60 unless you need another set of keys and an onboard sequencer - the Roland sound is available in lots and lots of different shapes and sizes - they are the kings of repackaging. The little half-rack JV-1010 is basically the same synth engine as the XP-60 is, and it costs quite a bit less money. The 1010 is especially attractive if you don't want to program - and, you can get a brand new computer and a JV-1010 for the price of an XP-60.

As far as whether or not a Mo Phatt will work with your Korg, I don't see why not. The Emu should certainly respond to all of the basic info form the Korg - key data, program change info, etc...whether or not it fits sonically is up to your ear to determine. If you like the sound, go for it!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

The filters are key!

The reason why your korg is not as phatt as you want it to be is because it has non-resonating filters. The N series was the last of the old Korg era (M, T, and O series had this as well) that had no resonance. Now everybody knows that's why the older korg synths sound the way they do.

The simple fix is *not* to get a different module - you already know the N5 and I think it's a damn cool keyboard with lots of features and sounds. What you need instead is a filter box - such as the Electrix FilterQueen. There are others out there, but none is as popular and easy to find as this little guy. I won't go into the others.. that would start a huge thread with all the analog phanatics on this page.

This way you won't have to get into a whole new synth, figuring out the way it works and which patches you like. Instead you'll be able to rediscover everything you already have. The only drawback, I guess, is that the filter settings won't be stored with each patch. But there's nothing more fun to tweak than filter knobs. Plus you can use it for any sound source and I guarantee it will be useful for years and years to come.

Feel free to email me with other questions.

Originally posted by steve44@visto.com:

The simple fix is *not* to get a different module - you already know the N5 and I think it's a damn cool keyboard with lots of features and sounds. What you need instead is a filter box - such as the Electrix FilterQueen. There are others out there, but none is as popular and easy to find as this little guy. I won't go into the others.. that would start a huge thread with all the analog phanatics on this page.

Actually, the analog fanatics are more likely to bust you on the concept of running the whole signal through one filter, as opposed to having a filter for each voice... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif Still, it might be what he's looking for...if I was gonna go that route, I'd probably recommend the Moogerfooger Low Pass Filter, though...that sucker is a seriously nasty little toy.

BTW - someone much wiser than me once said that you can only use phatt to describe samples or virtual analog. Real analog is fat with an "f" - so then it'd stand to reason that they'd be fanatics, not phanatics...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

DB -

LOL! I was actually thinking about that when I wrote it.. so I stand corrected.

And I do suggest you start a "filter favorite" thread.. it would be interesting to see all the modular "fanatics" and Andromeda Beta-ers argue over which filter is the fattest (or phattest, as the case may be.. if you use something like a nord modular)...

Have a good New Year,

Steve

Archived