Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

difference in keyboard and workstation

whats the difference in a keyboard and a workstation? we are looking at the korg n264. would love to have the n1 but is out of our range. and the n5ex doesn't have the 76 keys that we feel we need. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx!

------------------

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Workstations have a built-in sequencer, and usually a disk drive (or some kind of memory card) to sotre sequences. They also typically have a wide range of instrument sounds and drum kit setups. They're also multitimbral (i.e. the sequencer can pump out bass, piano, organ, lead, drums, etc. all at the same time)

Originally posted by Stratman:

Your biggest consideration should be whether you need the sequencer or not and if you'll be happy with it if you do. If you don't need the sequencer you can get a better synth for the same money.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a workstation isn't made for live playing. You can use live but they don't have the nice features to make live playing easier and faster, especially the N series.

Check into the sequencer itself too, I recently purchased a Korg N-364 and I don't really care for the sequencer on it. It's not bad but there's no swing setting at all and it's very tedious to navigate with that little display and no jog dial. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif I ended up getting a software program to do sequencing on. It's memory isn't very big either, It's o.k. for storing a couple of smf's but don't expect to run really large midi files on it.

It's a decent synth and has some good sounds and the sequencer is serviceable, if you don't mind not having a swing setting (Rather burns me, wouldn't have gotten it if I'd known that). But make sure it's what you need and what you'll be HAPPY with BEFORE you buy.

Originally posted by carldebi@crcom.net:

whats the difference in a keyboard and a workstation? we are looking at the korg n264. would love to have the n1 but is out of our range. and the n5ex doesn't have the 76 keys that we feel we need. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanx!

Please tell us the application for which you intend to use it - that'll probably play a very large part in determining whether or not the onboard sequencer makes sense.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived