Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Buying a Master Controller

ctgtamcotec.com

Hello. I am a soundtrack composer living in Toronto, ON, CANADA, and I am in the market to purchase a new 88 weighted key master controller. Any suggestions? I have plenty of modules, so onboard sounds are not necessarily needed. Although, I wouldn't mind a beautiful on board piano patch. Please help!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I've been leaning towards a Fatar 880 only because I can pick it up for less than $600.

Since I also have banks of sounds in other racks I didn't see the need to find the sounds and the keys for a lot more money. In addition, I only need a studio rig and am not looking to take it on the road.

The one suggested to me most was the Roland A80 if you can get your hands on it, I wasn't able to.

Originally posted by ctg@tamcotec.com:

Hello. I am a soundtrack composer living in Toronto, ON, CANADA, and I am in the market to purchase a new 88 weighted key master controller. Any suggestions? I have plenty of modules, so onboard sounds are not necessarily needed. Although, I wouldn't mind a beautiful on board piano patch. Please help!

There's all kinds of 88-key controllers around. To narrow the field, you need to figure out what features are important to you. Is keyboard feel most important? Midi controller implementation? If so, what kind of midi controller implementation? (there are various design philosophies) Is user interface important? If so, what kind? Do you like a touch-screen interface, or buttons? Are performance controllers important, and if so, what type (knobs, sliders, breath controller, foot switches, cc foot pedals?). I think if you start to think along these lines, it will lead you towards a choice.

Personally, I'm leaning towards getting a Yamaha S80. I also own a Yamaha P80, but strictly as a digital piano, it doesn't have much in the way of midi control. The Kurzweil PC2 is an excellent midi controller in terms of the midi controller implementation and overall design. But I haven't been able to find an 88-note version to play, so can't vouch for the keyboard feel.

If you have enough money and don't need to move your master keyboard too often, check the Kawai MP9000 (I hope to remember the name right). It's a digital piano with very good master key features, and it has one of the best piano sounds around, plus probably the best weighted action on the market today.

It's a bit heavy and expensive, but if you're a pianist it's a treat.

marino

Archived