Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your fave?

Dave Bryce

Okay, let's start with something simple - what's your current favorite synth, and why?

Right now, for me, I'd have to say that it's my Prophet VS, because I'm very heavily into extremely distinctive synths these days, and the VS certainly gives me that, along with a very unique methood of crafting sounds. However, after years of waiting, I just managed to lay hands on a PPG Wave 2.2 (8-bit! Yesssss...) WITH factory MIDI, and I have a feeling that it's gonna be the New Fave in a big way. Talk about a unique sounding instrument....

...and then, of course, there's that Andromeda over there... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The VS is warm, fat, dramatic and so very easy to use. All sounds stand right up in the mix.

Maybe my fav poly synth, however...

Andromeda is this wall of modulars in a single box. Everything I could think and dream of is in this machine. The sound is rich and fat. True analogue.

The factory presets will be stunning!

Hard to choose.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

Maybe my fav poly synth, however...

Andromeda is this wall of modulars in a single box. Everything I could think and dream of is in this machine. The sound is rich and fat. True analogue.

The factory presets will be stunning!

Hard to choose.

Both Pim and I are on the Andromeda beta team - we are not trying to do a commercial for the synth - we're just playing with it pretty extensively these days.

Other members of the Andromeda beta and design team may also be watching this forum, and would probably be glad to answer Andromeda related questions under separate threads.

dB

I don't own either of these right now (sob), but I had a loaner Wavestation for awhile which I found really inspiring for new tunes. Also, the Oberheim Matrix-12 was one of the most powerful instruments I ever had regular contact with...thank you Marcus Ryle for that bad boy.

No, I think that for the most part, I'm done buying hardware synths for awhile. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this thread soon with one of the software synths I'm currently considering.

- Jeff, TASCAM Guy

Originally posted by jklopmeyer@tascam.com:

No, I think that for the most part, I'm done buying hardware synths for awhile. Hopefully, I'll be able to add to this thread soon with one of the software synths I'm currently considering.

- Jeff, TASCAM Guy

Ahhhh, so you've been bitten by the software synth bug, ay? Which software synths are currently vying for your dollars?

dB

I have to second the Prophet VS vote! Back in the day (1986)that was my dream machine, I wanted one sooo badly. I never did get one, oh well... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif I have a Korg Poly-Six that I love! Very fat, but pre-Midi. I know that there are MIDI retrofits for them somewhere. Do you have any insights Dave? BTW, very cool about the PPG! But didn't they have a bad habit of breaking down all the time? I hope you have better luck with yours. Welcome to the forum too, great to have you here http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Richt

[This message has been edited by richt (edited 10-13-2000).]

I've been using a Roland S-760 sampler for sound design lately. My gig has been pretty sweet lately - I show up for work and make cool sound effects for a CGI demon that chases people around. The only problem is that the sampler has bad RAM in it, so every fourth sound or so is horribly distorted. Maybe I should record a few of these before I get it fixed.

(BTW, if you have a Roland sampler, the only people who sell RAM that works is Vital Technologies. Just to save you the pain I've gone through.)

Since the S-760 isn't technially a synth, I'll put in another vote for the Wavestation. I've actually over-used it over the years. Sometimes I'll listen to a track I've recorded and it has gooey lush voicey pad dripping all over the place, like too much Hot Fudge on the sundae.

Sorry about the complete lack of cute smileys in my post. I'll try to do better next time.

<

Nothing extraordinary - I'd try the usual suspects - Wes Taggart at Analogics, Tony at Encore Electronics, Kevin Lightner in LA...

<>

Well, mine had to go right to Kevin Lightner as soon as I got it, but he kicked it around the block a few times, and it's working great now. I'll be really nice to it as well... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

<>

Thanks! You, too!

dB

[This message has been edited by Dave Bryce (edited 10-14-2000).]

For me, it has to be the first synth I ever bought - a Moog Rogue back in 1984. It is still going strong and is so versatile, I can get loads of great sounds out of it. Having two oscillators makes it very fat and put it head and shoulders over it's contemporaries back then (SH101, SX1000, Pro One etc). I bought it on the strength of a review by Thomas Dolby (one of my all time heros) and it cost me £189.00. I could now sell it for more than double that. I also have a Korg MS10 which I purchased for £99.00 in 1985 and, whilst in London last week, I saw a second hand model being sold for £499.00. Is that an investment or what ?!

Coming from this sort of background, I have never been impressed with the new wave of modelling synths. They always seem to be limited in the sounds available as you can never strip it down far enough to get at the most basic elements. That is why I can't wait for the Andromeda to arrive (I do not do endorsements either !) This is an excellent SOUNDING analogue synth and is everything I ever wanted - well, a Jupiter 8 would have been nice !

PS: I now own a Moog T-shirt as well for that real analogue feel !!

cheers,

Bassment

I have to second Rob Wallace's lauding of the Moog Rogue. I bought one for $20 back in 1986, and I use it regularly to this date. Okay, so it's not my all time favorite synth, but this little guy rocks. I'm still looking for a Taurus II head to use as an expander for the Rogue (it's the same synth, as far as I know).

But the Taurus I is far better for ... uh ... Taurus pedal bass stuff. It is so ultra-musical.

So *my* favorite synth? I have been restoring a four cabinet Moog modular from April of 1967, which pre-dates my own birth by three months...

This is the biggest sounding, smoothest, silkiest, most alive, and ultimately most MUSICAL synth I have ever played. I had the great opportunity to work with Keith Emerson's modular a few years back, and that got me hooked for like.

Honorable mention: the Oberheim SEM. Also great.

Looking forward to laying hands on: the Alesis Andromeda.

Not interested in: analog modeling synths. Although the new Native Instruments B4 is perhaps the best simulated Hammond I have heard to date. Sehr gut, mein Freunden!

Cheers,

Erik

My current fave is actually a new synth. I just love my Korg Z1. The apregiator rocks and it has boat loads of unique "synthi" type sounds. I grew up with the old analog stuff. My first synth was a Mini-Moog that I bought in 1971. I also have a EMS Synthi AKS, like Eno uses. (Both of which I still have) They have their place, but it is limited compared to the newer stuff. I hate to think of the time I spent calibrating the Mini Moog and waiting for the EMS Synthi to get back from the repair shop. Just my opinion

I haven't heard too much from the Z1, but I do recall that it did perhaps the best Wurlitzer recreation I have encountered. Weird that this sound is what struck me about the unit. It is obviously capable of lots of other sounds.

As far as modeling goes, I am definitely a fan of the Yamaha VL series synths. The VL1 seems to be a bit fatter and warmer than the VL70m, but essentially they have the same sounds. Of course the VL1 is two voice, whereas the VL70m is just one, so the VL1 has the ability to layer two different models which is quite effective. Still, two VL70ms brand new cost less than what I've seen the VL1 and VL1m go for used. Although I think Dave Bryce saw a VL1m used for something ridiculous like $400 a couple of years ago. Am I right, Dave? Why didn't you buy it?!

Originally posted by eriknorlander@thetank.com:

I haven't heard too much from the Z1, but I do recall that it did perhaps the best Wurlitzer recreation I have encountered. Weird that this sound is what struck me about the unit. It is obviously capable of lots of other sounds.

(snip)

Although I think Dave Bryce saw a VL1m used for something ridiculous like $400 a couple of years ago. Am I right, Dave? Why didn't you buy it?!

I actually have Z1 lust myself - really, really distinctive, interesting sounding synth. It's certainly on my wish list.

The VL1m wasn't quite that cheap, and I had Alesis' VL1 on loan at the time...still shoulda grabbed it.

dB

[Disclaimer: This is not a product endorsement.]

The Waldorf Q is a monster, for several reasons, notably the new waveforms and the dual series/parallel filters. I'm likin' the Supernova II a lot. I still wish I had a Z1.

But I'll let you in on a secret: My desert island synths are my pair of Yamaha TX802s. I'll need to bring the Ensoniq DP/4+ to the island too, in order to give the TXs some righteous effects. But if you come into my studio with a gun, I'll cheerfully give you any synth in the place _except_ the TX802s. Those I'll fight for.

Almost forgot: If I ever have about $20,000 that I don't know what to do with (ha-ha), I know exactly what I'll do with it. I'll call up Rex Probe at Sound Transform and have him build me a custom 7-panel Serge Modular. As an ad for a mere synthesizer once said, slide the food under the door.

--JA

[This message has been edited by jaikin@musicplayer.com (edited 10-17-2000).]

Great to have this Keyboard corner http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am pretty happy with my Z1, and tend to use the Virus TDM quite a bit too. Just so convenient to be able to have a bunch of them open, and just save them with the song.

Is the B4 coming for TDM as well?? ..Looks great!

I had a VS back in the 80'ies...jupiter too, and the good old EMU II .

Do I miss them?? ...nah...I miss some girlfriends from back then more http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Oli P:

Is the B4 coming for TDM as well??

It supports OMS and DirectConnect, so you can use it with Pro Tools.

------------------

Mitch Gallagher

Editor

EQ magazine

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

My favorite synth is, without a doubt, the MiniMoog. It became an extension of my right brain for about ten years. Warm and expressive, fat and nasty. I played in a power trio for a couple of months that was covering Hendrix tunes--without guitar. The Mini was run through a Boss analog delay and Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. Grabbing the 2nd oscillator tuning knob, I could recreate double-string bends. It was ferocious. It was also quite unstable. I had to take it apart every month or so for cleaning, but I knew every inch of it intimately. I eventually sampled many of the waveform combinations into an Emax and sold the thing for rent money. Ah--welcome to the world of professional music. I'm eagerly awaiting Bob Moog's new performance synth. It won't get sold, I promise.

K.

Originally posted by Oli P:

Does that mean I can run it on the same computer, simultaniously with Pro-Tools?

Yes, B4 can run as a stand-alone application alongside PT. It shows up as an input source in the Pro Tools mixer via DirectConnect.

(note that DirectConnect only works with PT Mix systems)

------------------

Mitch Gallagher

Editor

EQ magazine

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Originally posted by soper2@mindspring.com:

My favorite synth is, without a doubt, the MiniMoog. It became an extension of my right brain for about ten years. Warm and expressive, fat and nasty. I played in a power trio for a couple of months that was covering Hendrix tunes--without guitar. The Mini was run through a Boss analog delay and Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi. Grabbing the 2nd oscillator tuning knob, I could recreate double-string bends. It was ferocious.

I can so directly relate to this, except my pedals were different. I used a Memory Man delay (why did I sell that?), a Maestro Phasor (oh, MAN, why did I sell that), and a couple of different distortion pedals on mine. Used it night after night for horns, guitars, synths, and the occasional razor death space jam.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - my Mini is still, and will always be, my Absolute Favorite Synth.

dB

My fave is my old (off-white) ARP Odyssey. It's a beast! Tempermental as hell. Probably needs some work, but as long as she screams, I aint gonna fix her! I've got a few pix on my web site of her and my Sequential Six Trak (also a cool little synth). My Oddy is pure hell and I love her for it!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision http://www.f7sound.com

The synth I use the most: Kurzweil K2000. It has all of the expansions, and it is the center of all my music outputs, both for production and programming.

The best-sounding synth I have... Last year I would have said the Rhodes Chroma, perhaps... But last year I SOLD the damn thing, and I'm not sleeping well yet! I think the best sound quality in my music now comes from the Yamaha VL-1m. It really speaks. It sounds way, WAY better than the VL-70m.

The most soothing, clean, transparent machine: Wavestation. I recently bought a second one. I love it!

And the Matrix-12 is not going to leave my steudio, ever.

Also, VAZmodular and Reaktor are amazing.

But recently I played with a friend's modular Moog, and can I say that this thing is absurd! I'm glad I don't have one, because I would spend ALL my time playing it.

And of course the Minimoog and ARP 2600 are beautiful beasts.

Umm, I didn't single one out... I guess we old time synthetists are spoiled...

Originally posted by synthworld@aol.com:

If I had to pick one synth and one synth only it would have to be my expanded Clavia Nord Modular.

I can do anything I want with it and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

For me, nothing else even comes close.

Zon

Didn't I see a picture of your Moog modular on Kevin Lightner's synthfool.com site? You own a large Moog modular and yet you say these things about the Nord? Heretic! Heretic!

Cheers,

Erik

Okay Zon, I'll trade you an expanded Nord Modular for your Moog Modular. Then you'll have two of your favorite synth, and I'll have two of my favorite synth.

Favorite? Depends upon the purpose.

Deeper and larger than anything? Moog Modular.

More control than anything analog? Buchla 200.

More control with memory and polyphony and multitimbrality and great sound? Andromeda.

Edgy science-fiction sounds from hell? TG77.

Edgy science-fiction sounds from hell that I don't own but want? PPG 2.2.

Piano? Whassa piano? Reads like "pain-o".

Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Erik said: Didn't I see a picture of your Moog modular on Kevin Lightner's synthfool.com site? You own a large Moog modular and yet you say these things about the Nord? Heretic! Heretic!

Cheers,

Erik

My modular Moog is my second choice. I use it quite a bit and it definitely has "the sound", but in all practicality when doing work for hire, I can do much more with my Nord Modular when facing a deadline - with it's polyphony, multiple step-sequencers and a bunch of sounds all going on at once. It really is the only synth I've ever had that has enough power to realize patches I could only imagine on any other synth.

Now, if I had Zimmer's Moog.....

;-)

Zon

Archived