Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is this Bryce guy?

Dave Bryce

Hi there!

I'm Dave Bryce, and I am extremely pleased to have been chosen by musicplayer.com to moderate this forum.

Why me? Must be my gentle, unassuming manner, I guess... :D

Perhaps a touch of history on me is in order: I have been playing keys for over 30 years, and I have been messing around with synthesizers for most of that period. I have spent countless years in and around music retail, having worked for a whole bunch of stores from individual mom-and-pop retailers to the big chains. I have also spent a bunch of time working for both Kurzweil and Alesis doing all kinds of stuff from tech support, program and demo authoring and product design to demonstrator, educator and marketing manager. I have done my best during this period to make sure that I continue to actually use the stuff, as well... ;) Hey, theory only goes so far, y'know?

Basically, I just love to talk about gear. On just about any level. Everything from how it works to what it sounds like to where to get it (new/used/whatever). Just about anything is fair game.

Strangely enough, I have a pretty decent synth collection, and know a bunch of people who are also pretty heavily into the keyboard thing who have agreed to frequent this forum as well.

Being originally from Philadelphia, I also have a tendency to be a bit...opinionated... :)

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Stretch out, make yourself at home; and, above all, please feel free to express yourself. I know that I will...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He loves Italian food also. Me too.

He's from '61. Me too.

I am handsome. He's, well... uh...

I wish you lotsafun with this forum dB!

I will make a link from my website.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

FYI -- a little additional insight on why Dave was chosen for this forum...

He's a straight shooter about all this gear, and has a relatively well-tuned B.S. analyzer. He's also very passionate about the subject, and really wants to help people have fun with all this technology.

Nor do we expect this to be the last addition to the MusicPlayer.com forums...keep coming back and you'll see what I mean!

more info on the "boy Bryce"...

His bowling skills leave a little to be desired (is he really American ?) and if a keyboard can stand up to his playing techniques it is a testament to it's construction quality !

Good luck with the site Dave, I will be 'popping in' ocassionally.

Cheers,

Bassment

I have seen Dave's collection keyboards and it is definitely impressive. He has a VS rack, a Chroma, my old JP-8, this weird 2-piece Minimoog, and now a PPG 2.2 as well, so I hear. How's *that* for dedicated? Okay, and he has the usual smattering of digital stuff too.

In case he's too modest to mention it, Dave was one the leading contributors to the Alesis Andromeda analog synth along with Mike Peake, Rob Rampley, Taiho Yamada, Julie Yarbrough and myself. He also was critical in the development of the entire Alesis QS series of digital synths and sound cards. Prior to that, Dave was involved with Kurzweil.

And I hear he makes a good lasagna, too.

Cheers,

Erik

Originally posted by Rob Wallace:

His bowling skills leave a little to be desired (is he really American ?)

My bowling skills are nonexistant. I'm quite proud of that. :thu:

Thanks for 'popping on', Rob. Hope all is well over in England.

dB

Originally posted by eriknorlander@thetank.com:

I have seen Dave's collection keyboards and it is definitely impressive. He has a VS rack, a Chroma, my old JP-8, this weird 2-piece Minimoog, and now a PPG 2.2 as well, so I hear. How's *that* for dedicated? Okay, and he has the usual smattering of digital stuff too.

My Mini is only one piece - actually, Kevin Lightner has it right now, and it's in many pieces. :eek:

It is Ron Rivera modified, and autographed by Bob Moog as well (he signed it when I worked with him at Kurzweil). I am the original owner, and it's still my Absolute Favorite Synth.

Thanks for your kind words, Erik - it's good to see you here.

dB

Welcome aboard, David! Great to have you on the Forums!

I remember talking "keys" with you when we were both in Boston (late-80's/early 90's)....my how time flies!

All the best,

David Frangioni

Thank you, sir!

Ah, yes, the Wurlitzer days. I remember you coming in with your business cards advertising your brand new MIDI consulting business for us to give to our customers. $30 an hour, wasn't it?

That seems to have worked out pretty well for you, Dave. ;) Nice call!

Good to see you here - I've been lurking on your forum as well...

dB

Dave,

Great memory......and memories.

Along with you, Fred, Jerry, and the gang, I really have to publicly thank Gene Joly (now the head of Tascam) for that break. He is an amazing guy - and best of all - he authorized the placement of my MIDI flyers in all of the Wurly stores! Not to mention also providing a lot of support. You're right, that essentially started it all.

The good ol' days.................

David

• 3 months later...

C. Anderton wrote:

"He's a straight shooter about all this gear, and has a relatively well-tuned B.S. analyzer"

Does that mean you can tell when I'm being feces-ish?

Hum

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

• 7 months later...
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

My Mini is only one piece - actually, Kevin Lightner has it right now, and it's in many pieces. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

It is Ron Rivera modified,

How is it modified?

Bart Garratt

Originally posted by bg:

How is it modified?

It has hard sync switches for oscillators 2 and 3, a fourth LFO so I can do low frequency mod tricks and still use the other three oscillators in the audible range, 2-way vernier tuning knobs that are 40:1 in the regular position and 1:1 when pushed (they also add stability to the tuning), and contour (envelope) switches for oscillators 2 and 3 that allow me to toggle the filter envelope between VCO (which normally has no envelope control), VCF or both.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/Mini.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/MiniClose.jpg

She's my baby...I'm the original owner - I still even have the instruction manual. :D

dB

Very interesting. Those are some fancy tuning pots! I've never heard of vernier. I know what you mean about multi-turn pots adding stability. I replaced the master and Osc 2 tuners with 10-turns. I lost 1:1. NBD unless setting up for Aquatarkus...

That dear instrument is somewhere in Venezuela.

hey dave,

since you are the "master", i was wondering if you knew anything on the voyetra 8 synth. if i was lucky to get my paws on one, would i need the keyboard to go with it? i don't think it uses midi, however maybe there's something out there that could help control the module? i saw one for sale on e-bay once for a reasonable price(at least i thought so for something like this), but it was just for the module. didn't come with the keyboard.

g.

Originally posted by g05:

hey dave, since you are the "master",

:eek:

You must have me confused with someone else..

i was wondering if you knew anything on the voyetra 8 synth. if i was lucky to get my paws on one, would i need the keyboard to go with it?

I believe that the interface between the Voyetra 8's rack-mount brain and its keyboard are proprietary, but I wouldn't swear to it...

I do know someone who would know for sure - lemme see if I can find him...

dB

• 3 years later...
Dave Bryce, I think a few of us here are from Philadelphia or that area. What section did you grow up in? I lived in Mayfair and Tacony until I moved out of the city when I was 24. What schools did you attend? I went to Lincoln HS and Temple - both very large schools. My graduating high school class was around 900 or so.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

What section did you grow up in?

snip

What schools did you attend?

I spent most of my time in Philly in the Abington/Cheltenham area. I went to elementary and Jr. High in Abington, and HS in Cheltenham, although I ended up graduating HS from a small boarding school up in New Hope.

What made you dig this thread up?

dB

What section did you grow up in?

snip

What schools did you attend?

I spent most of my time in Philly in the Abington/Cheltenham area. I went to elementary and Jr. High in Abington, and HS in Cheltenham, although I ended up graduating HS from a small boarding school up in New Hope.

dB

Dave B, I didn't dig it up, I saw it near the top of the heap and responded. DH

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Quote by EricG:

------------------------------------

Nice to talk with you in Frankfurt. You sure have nice playing chops and amazing knowledge about music, the music technology and the business.

------------------------------------

Dave is Philadelphia's music industry's version of "Rocky". :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

dB

Dave B, I didn't dig it up, I saw it near the top of the heap and responded. DH
It looks like Prague did a Voyetra 8 search and as a result, discovered and bumped this thread. :idea:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Originally posted by EricG:

Nice to talk with you in Frankfurt :D You sure have nice playing chops and amazing knowledge about music, the music technology and the buisness.

Thanks, Eric - it was great to meet you as well! Always cool to be able to put a face on a forum member... :idea:
Indeed. Dopey me - I looked at the content, not at the dates.

I actually have no problem with anyone asking questions about me - I was just curious what made the thread surface.

dB

• 5 years later...

10th Anniversary bump!

And a pic of the Voyetra-8:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/voyetra8.jpg

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

http://www.elevenshadows.com/sss/halloween2009/images/578davebrycestudio.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/sss/halloween2009/images/579macbethstudiosystems.jpg

http://www.elevenshadows.com/sss/halloween2009/images/556dbsinging2.jpg

This makes a good 10,000th post!!!!!!

Archived