Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm confused about how TRS connectors work with channel inserts. I know how to set them up with outboard gear and so on, but I can't figure out how the electricity works. I know on the inserts Tip=send, Ring=return and sleeve is ground. Don't the send and receive both need a positive and a negative? IE, shouldn't there have to be at least 4 separated sections on a 1/4" connector? Or is it that the + and - goes on the same surface of the send connection and the return connection? Thanks for any help! If any of you don't like that I posted this and ear training topics on two forums, please tell me.

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the trs system used for ordinary channels send/recieve shares the sleeve for both send and recieve. its unbalanced connections. in the old days and on some mixers today (not mackies or anything like that) there is a separate balanced jack for send and recieve, i.e. one balanced jack to the gear and one balanced jack recieving the signal back. an old peavey markIII is like this

So, in systems where there is one TRS insert jack, the Tip and Ring take, let's say positive of each signal and the sleeve caries the negative for both?

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

Using a common ground is very, well uh, common. Its used quite a bit in car audio wiring.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by mega-lo-mart evil coaster: [b]yes. its like headphones, where the left and right headphone is the tip and ring, the sleeve is common between them. i cant explain [i]why[/i] they do it that way, only that they do it that way.[/b][/quote]They do it that way because it's relatively cheap and reliable. Not to mention the common use of 1/4" plugs and jacks for other audio gear. They take up a lot less real estate on a mixer than two XLR's. It's been said many times before; It's all about the money. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The Behringer 602/802 series mini-mixers take advantage of this layout. They use a dual op-amp configuration (resiter loaded) -- positive swing to the TIP and negative swing to the SLEEVE. If you plug in an unbalanced (TS) plug, the RING gets shorted to the sleeve resulting in a -10dBu signal... without having to flip a switch or worry about overloading someting. Unfortunately, the LED VUs don't adjust. It looks strange to push them to +12dBV and get 0dBu on my cassette. Somebody was thinking...

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Archived