Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VM3100pro mic preamps

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't used this mixer but was contemplating getting one since they are so cheap. It's good to hear that the pre's are nice. How would you compare them to the Mackie pre's? Any gotchas or things that you don't like about this board? And input is greatly appreciated!

-Dylan

I don't know about the VM3100 but I read a review on the Roland rack recorder 8 track and discovered that it lacks proper dithering. I'm sorry I don't have that link but at the time it discouraged me from buying that machine. I am not implying that the 3100 has the same setback but maybe you should at least verify that it dithers.

Originally posted by Dylan Walters:

I haven't used this mixer but was contemplating getting one since they are so cheap. It's good to hear that the pre's are nice. How would you compare them to the Mackie pre's? Any gotchas or things that you don't like about this board? And input is greatly appreciated!

-Dylan

I sold my Mackie 1402vlz to get this board. It didn't have the new "pro" preamps. In my subjective, non-scientific casual listening I like the VM3100pro preamps better. Can't qualify it more than that. I really like this mixer! Not too difficult to learn, very sturdy and has every feature I really need. FX are basically the same as the ones in the VS Workstations but you have to extra linkable compressors and you can store EQ settings and compressor settings in libraries. The RPC-1 card seems to work well. This is more mixer than I could have dreamed of last year. I got the Studio Pack for $595 from bpmmusic.com. I'm thinking I'll start using the preamps on the mixer instead of the ART Duel MP. I've got pluggins if I really need a tube sound and it's a direct link to digital going through much less circuity and cables this way. I'm really delighted with this board. This will allow me to use more dedicated hardware processing instead of thinking my computer can really do it all. (I've become very dissalusioned with host based mixing).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback, Dino. This package is beginning to look very attractive the more I look at it! The mixer alone is worth this price to me, let alone the fact that they are bundling a PCI card with it. Just curious, how are the drivers for this card? I believe that the card is done by MIDIMan and that the drivers are the same ones used for the Delta series. I just picked up a 1402 VLZ Pro for a steal that I've been very impressed with, but I'd rather have a digital mixer any day so I might return it. Also, my audio card has inputs set to -10dB, so the match with the +4dB output of the Mackie hasn't been too good.

I've been debating whether or not I should upgrade the audio card or simply buy an external A/D converter to feed into the S/PDIF input, but for how much these sell for I'm almost better off scrapping the interface entirely or buying a preamp with digital output. The only 2 decent yet affordable looking stereo preamps with digital output that I've found so far are ART's DI/O, which isn't shipping until later this year and MIDIMan's Audiosport Duo, which also isn't shipping yet. All I need are 2 quiet and hopefully non-colored sounding preamps that can either operate at both -10dB and +4dB or that has a S/PDIF output. Any ideas? If not, I just might get the Roland Studio Pack if this price is still the same. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'm getting desperate.

Thanks,

Dylan

This message has been edited by Dylan Walters on 07-20-2001 at 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Dylan Walters:

...Just curious, how are the drivers for this card? I believe that the card is done by MIDIMan and that the drivers are the same ones used for the Delta series.

I've been debating whether or not I should upgrade the audio card or simply buy an external A/D converter to feed into the S/PDIF input, but for how much these sell for I'm almost better off scrapping the interface entirely or buying a preamp with digital output. The only 2 decent yet affordable looking stereo preamps with digital output that I've found so far are ART's DI/O, which isn't shipping until later this year and MIDIMan's Audiosport Duo, which also isn't shipping yet. All I need are 2 quiet and hopefully non-colored sounding preamps that can either operate at both -10dB and +4dB or that has a S/PDIF output. Any ideas? If not, I just might get the Roland Studio Pack if this price is still the same. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'm getting desperate.

Thanks,

Dylan

This message has been edited by Dylan Walters on 07-20-2001 at 01:38 PM

It comse with ASIO, MME and WDM drivers. I've been using the MME drivers with Cakewalk 9 bouncing things back and forth betweenb my VS880EX and it seems to be very solid. Cakwalk had a few quirks when the drivers were just installed but a few reboots and and Cake configs seemed to help. I'm planning on swithching to the Included Logic RPC when I finish my curren project. The ASIO drivers seem rock solid and I would expect very low latency. I've never used the WDM drivers since I returned SONAR (what a mess that app is)! Plus it has setups in ROM for Cakewalk, Logic and Cubase that can be easily recalled. I can't see any difference using the one for Cakewalk but the one for Logic makes the transport and location buttons control Logic and when using the included Logic environment Logic very sweetly controls and intgrates with the mixer. There's also a pop up time code window on the mixer. Very Cool!

I'm really happy with the sound so far. I REALLY like not having cables going from mic to pre to mixer and appreciate the cleaner signal path. I've come to the point where simple is better and feel with this setup I'll get much more work done. The mixer has HARDARE BASE EQ, FX etc and real knobs and sliders. This may be the best investment I've made in the last 10 years! And I've come to highly regard the well made quality of Roland gear. (I know I sound like a Roland rep but I'm not. Through no plan other than buying the best gear I can afford I've ended up with a mostly Roland studio.) I've pulled many a hair out over computer B/S but these days I'm a happy man.

This message has been edited by dino321 on 07-20-2001 at 02:25 PM

Archived