Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEW PCI-324 WDM Beta 5 Drivers Windows 98SE, ME, 2000!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by GY:

Sometimes, a little pissing and moaning helps get things done! If you try this driver, please post your results here. Please include your OS and chipset, etc.

http://www.motu.com/english/download/

I haven't tried the drivers yet, but it concerns me that they are still calling it "beta". Does this mean they (MOTU) are aware of issues with the drivers?

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

What really concerns me is that they are in denial about their drivers. Depending on who you talk to at MOTU, one person says their drivers are compatible with 98se, while another person says; "I think the issue here is that Windows '98 doesn't support the WDM protocol. Because of this, the WDM drivers for the 2408 won't do you much good, and Sonar won't be able to communicate with the 2408 via WDM." I have spent over $35 in phone calls to MOTU in the last month with no answers to my questions... just a bunch of misinformation.

GY

Originally posted by GY:

What really concerns me is that they are in denial about their drivers. Depending on who you talk to at MOTU, one person says their drivers are compatible with 98se, while another person says; "I think the issue here is that Windows '98 doesn't support the WDM protocol. Because of this, the WDM drivers for the 2408 won't do you much good, and Sonar won't be able to communicate with the 2408 via WDM." I have spent over $35 in phone calls to MOTU in the last month with no answers to my questions... just a bunch of misinformation.

GY,

About a month ago I did the upgrade to WIN 2K using the beta 4 drivers with Cakewalk-9 & a 2408 mk.1 . I was using the drivers in the normal "wave" mode, not WDM, 'cuz I don't have Sonar yet. It gave me alot of timing problems, and when I called MOTU, yep, they were not much help & I totally got the run-around.

So, I'm back to win98 SE, using the original drvs. that came with the 2408. No problems. I will attempt this again, when I get Sonar, but this time I'm gonna use the WDM drivers. Hopefully, this will work.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

I usually never complain about tech support guys because they have what must be a very hard,tiring,frustrating job.However,I have to say that MOTU tech support is the absolute worst. If you can get them(which is akin to winning a lottery),they are surly,indifferent,and unhelpful while blaming everything from your software,your computer(motherboard,video card,etc.),electricity to moon cycles while giving attitude the whole time.

Last week(July 10) I downloaded and installed the latest software for the PCI-324 and my computer has not worked right since.The unconcern I received from MOTU was staggering and the belittling treatment I got from the "techie(?)" seemed to be designed to make me feel stupid for doing what their website suggests and to get rid of me as soon as possible.

For these reasons I will never buy one of their products again.However,I still have this WDM dilemma as well.Please let me know if this latest driver works with Sonar and Windows SE.

At the moment all WDM drivers are being called Beta by all card manufacturers.They all work on 98se but not as well as 2k.Keep in mind that with WDM drivers,any app the doesn't support this protocol is limited to 16 bit with the exception of ASIO.In other words all other apps besides Sonar and Steinberg stuff except Wavelab.Also if you rely on GSIF(Giga)you'll have to stay away from WDM as well as Giga doesn't support this driver.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Giga drivers work really well with a 2408..

Asio and 2408 works even better with logic audio..

Both running on SEPARATE P.C Machines...

Don't know the Wdm drivers..

Tech support is usless with them..

Was even told to go Mac.. Duh then why do you claim to sell win drivers.. No anwser..

Life sucks but I'd really hate to be a tech person also...

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

I'm thanking god for the 2408 - I needed a way to get 3 DA78s into Sonar on Win2K and Mixtreme and Sekd just didn't do it so well. The 2408 with WDM beta drivers are rocking. Oddly, they don't work in MME and WDM at the same time, so if I fire up Vegas, I have to switch the driver around - not too hard though.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Hey Steve!

I'm glad it's working for ya. I'm wondering what kind of latency you're getting? I'm doing one DA-88 into the 2408 for now, with Sonar and a MOTU Midi Express XT. If I can get the latency down to a useable range I'll get a couple more 2408s. I think the PCI-324 is a great, versatile card, but the drivers aren't achieving useable latency under Win 98se (70ms). And, I'm not changing my OS. Bummer.

GY

Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with the beta version of the pci324, I'm a Mac'er so I don't have the problems but over at MOTU-MAC on topica there have been some shitty threads concerning tech support at Motu. The long time users seem to defend tech support and the newbies flame em. If it's any consulation try to hang in there to check updates e

tc. the product is great on mac.

Russ

GY,you don't have to change OS's,just partition a part of your drive and install 2k or XP on that partition.Use 98 se for general audio and 2k for Sonar,in fact I have Sonar on both 98se and 2k so I can still use Giga/Wavelab in 24 bit.Get a program called Partition Magic so you can partition without reformatting.

OK,boys and girls.Do we all have a seat?I've got some bad news.Just got off the phone with Sonar/Cakewalk.SONAR DOES NOT WORK WITH THE 2408!!!!!!!!!It has been confirmed,the tests have been done.It is over.(I was wondering why they were blowing out the 2408).I strongly recommended that they(SONAR) post this information somewhere and make this situation known.For me it is a relief.I got really tired of losing my work,booting my computer,loading screwed up "beta" not"betta" drivers and dealing with tech support guys who did not care or help.Well there you have it.See you all on the road.

I've had my share of problems with the Sonar/PCI-3234/2408 combination. I've made some caustic remarks regarding MOTU and thier lack of customer support. But, to post a statement "SONAR DOES NOT WORK WITH THE 2408!" is simply not true! My setup does work. My only problem is not being able to get latency down below 70ms. That could be corrected by MOTU writing a definitive WDM driver for Win 98se instead of making it appear like they're hard at work with these bullshit BETA drivers. So James, why haven't we heard about any of your Sonar/MOTU problems on the boards?

This message has been edited by GY on 07-25-2001 at 01:54 PM

GY

Perhaps I should have stated it differently.I guess I was so

relieved/pissed that I thought that people should be warned by a

drastic statement.It would probably more correctly be stated that

Cakewalk seems to be not recommending the use of Sonar with the

MOTU.They've done their tests and have reasoned that there is no way

they can make Sonar work to their satisfaction with the MOTU.The tech

said that there seems to be an issue that goes deeper than the

drivers.That's enough for me because I have had it!!!Which is not to

say that Sonar is absolved of their responsibility in this matter.I

suggested that some sort of rebate or return policy be instituted.I

don't expect it(duh).

Motu has always had issues with Windows.I don't see Cakewalks responsibility in this matter since it seems fine with just about everything else.Also WDM was written for the Win 2k kernel and will only perform at acceptable levels on 98 at best.Cakewalk did state from the outset that Sonar was desinged to operate with Win 2k and that it would also work acceptibly with Win 98.Using Mac hardware that was ported over to windows with a known history of problems on that platform(Wimdows)and using it on an OS it wasn't optimized for only points to not doing your homework.

In addition to the 2408, I have tried the Mixtreme(WDM/Asio drivers) and ProdifT(MME/Asio drivers) on Win2K with Sonar and CubaseVST32 and the 2408 is the only card that has worked correctly for both. Go figure.....

Where did you hear from Cakewalk that the 2408 was no good? And, if they did say that, ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. We've been getting some work done with Sonar after the latest patch, but it can be a bag of worms sometimes. Saying that they support MME is really bogus - it just barely works at all - you pretty much have to have WDM.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Steve,I also use Sonar on my second machine with an M-Audio Audiophile with MME and 98 with absolutley no problems as far the card is concerned.WMD is called beta by every manufacturer out there so on that count Cakewalk can take the blame on releasing an app that is designed to work with drivers that either don't exsist or are in beta.Since Iv'e gotten it to work fine with both drivers and platforms with M-Audio stuff I think the problem lies in the manufacturers drivers themselves.My brother also uses MME drivers with his Frontier card and Sonar with the same result(so does Craig).

Archived