Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the strangest sound you've ever used in a song?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great topic! Let's see, drum machine high hat (sorry Lee!) through flanger for army of marching sissors, phone message of some poor woman mispronouncing "Embarcadero" 6 times in a row, Reagan saying "I don't recall".

-David R.

-David R.

I find it interesting that the majority of the suggestions on this thread have been of a percussive nature (as were my own examples). I'm wondering if a truly "strange" sound would be too much to handle in a melodic rather than a rhythmic sense?

I'm going to mutilate some sustained/pitched sounds just to see if I can successfully incorporate them into a tune. One idea I have been toying with is processing my sax through a guitar processor, reversing the wave, vocoding it, then reversing it again. Or how about ensemble violins through a Wah pedal?

I'm sure I will have some more equally psychotic ideas once I get done mowing my yard in this Texas heat...

------------------

What's on, your mind?

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

Originally posted by RecreationalThinker:

I'm sure I will have some more equally psychotic ideas once I get done mowing my yard in this Texas heat...

Speaking of lawn mowers, I just recalled a time when I sampled the sound of a lawn mower, then I took my roland guitar-synth and midi'd it to the sampler. So every note I played on my guitar, the sampler would play the same note. I ran the original sound of the guitar into a distortion pedal which went directly into the board, then the output of the sampler into a Marshall JMP-1 cabinet emulator. I mixed the two together, added a little compression and viola. It made for a bone-grinding, death metal (ozzy would be proud) guitar sound.

-nt

This message has been edited by notape on 07-12-2001 at 11:40 AM

Threw an empty tuna can at the recycle bin, and missed. When the can hit the kitchen floor, it made a great "pitched snare" tone, like "In the Midnight Hour." For a kick drum, I bounced a grapefruit on the kitchen counter. High-hat? Knife and fork. Toms? Dropped some heavy books. The "cymbals" are a combination of a pan lid, a tire pump, and FM-radio hiss layered together.

I have found that the generic "four for a dollar" tuna cans have a better tone than the 89-cent Bumblebee does. Higher ring, better sustain, no 400-Hz deadness. For what it's worth...

SC

SC

"If the machine produces tranquillity, it's right."

---Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Originally posted by strat0124:

Ever have someone manipulate the knobs on an analog delay stompbox while you solo away? Makes for some otherworldly sounds, and even moreso if you do em backwards!!!!!!

funny you say that. im getting ready to mix an album that the guitarist does that live with an expression pedal hooked up to the moogerfooger analog delay. we are actually going to "perform" the mixes as well with all the moogerfoogers, the control center, bunch of expression pedals hooked into them etc. NO AUTOMATION. either we get it or we dont.

and yes, the sounds are nothing like i have heard a guitar make before.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived