Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing w/ digital EQ--Cut or Boost?

Traditionally, cutting frequencies has been regarded as the most common and most superior way to EQ. This has been said (And written) over and over again. It has always been shown to be in regards to noise levels, which makes sense, at least on an analog level. I have been recording in 24 bit digital in the last few months and my noise levels are ridiculously low.

I have found that I PREFER to boost frequencies rather than cut, at least half the time. Some people say this is wrong, but I seem to be able to exact certain frequencies and really 'pull' or isolate an instrument out of the mix easier and with better results if I boost. I use a 3 band parametric with completely assign able 'Q', so I have alot of flexibility.

Now I don't EQ everything of course, but sometimes a piano track or sax can realy benefit from some EQ tweaking.

Here is an example. In a recent recording, It was a lot easier and more effective to boost the sax about +4db around 300hz with a wide Q setting as opposed to cutting the frequencies around it. The result was terrific but I wonder if I am starting to practice a bad habit, even if my results are desirable?

Any input is appreciated.

This message has been edited by Bonafide on 07-05-2001 at 03:35 PM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subtractive and Additive EQ's both have their applications. Neither way is "right" or "wrong". I use both, though I have found that my sound is a lot better when I do mostly subtractive EQ. YOu have to be careful when boosting multiple instruments that you're not boosting the same range on all instruments. You'll end up with mush this way. It's no different in the analog realm, most digital EQ's are set up to model the characteristics of analog filtering.

Do what works for you, and when you find you're not getting the results you want, learn the technique to get what you want!

Dan Roth

Otitis Media

A lot of the "cut instead of boost" philosophy came about to keep within headroom limits of analog gear. With digital, cutting might actually cause you to lose resolution, if the level goes down too far. As usual, there aren't any "rules" -- use what sounds right, consistent with not beating up the technology.

My usage laws, at least in the analog world, has ALWAYS been to grab the knob and use your ears. In the digital world, you have to take into consideration how much headroom you have left before hitting 0dBFS!!

If you're mixing digitally, lower the level of your signal (remember every -6dB equals approx. 1-bit of data) and grab that knob.

------------------

ERIC SEABERG San Diego, CA

eseaberg@home.com

This message has been edited by Eric Seaberg on 07-06-2001 at 03:19 PM

ERIC SEABERG San Diego, CA

eseaberg@home.com

Archived