Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kick drum mic placement?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Front head w/ or without hole? I've had great results with a Beta 91 on a pillow and a Beta 52 in front of drum. Distances for the 52 could vary from just inside the hole (if there is a hole), up to a foot (on a 24" fiberskin with no hole). 91 = click , 52 = boom.

Jason

hey jason,

The Shure website has an endorser archive that list all of the endorers and their mics.The Beta 91 inside and Beta 52 outside seems to be the way to go for guys like Kenny Aronoff,STP's drummer,Chad Smith(chilli peppers)and all of the big Rock drummers!

Sounds like there must be something to your school of thought!Thanks for confirming what I was unsure of.

Since you get different kick drum effect with different mic placement, why not get the best of both worlds.One mic close focusing on attack and one just inside focusing on low tone.

I can see a purchase of a Beta 91 in the near future!I've already got the 52 but being a high volume rocker I'm always looking for more impact with tone on the kick.

In discussing this topic with some other rock drummers that use this method it seems that they all compress and gate there kick and toms.They also gave me some very useful info on eqing the 2 kick mics!

I was sucked into a discussion on the "drum talk"forum in which I was being burned at the stake for suggesting gating/compressing the kick.It is reassuring to know that these successful artists do just that!

sorry i kinda got off track...

ian*

ian*

Originally posted by ian*:

When using 2 mics on kick drum what is the optimum placement for each?

ian*

Somewhere near the kick drum, I would imagine... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sorry...I couldn't help it.

Steve

(smartass)

The beauty of two kick mics is that, if placed correctly, there is little need for eq. I don't look at eq as a bad thing, it's a very useful tool; but I think too much eq, especially on kick, can mess with the tightness of the sound. If you must have huge bottom end, I think a mic placed to pick up only bottom end mixed with another mic for high end just sounds clearer, tighter, better, etc... than one mic placed where the bottom and top sounds okay and then heavily eq'd to get the boom and the snap. Just my thoughts.

Jason

Phase problems should without a doubt be fixed with mic placement and not eq. No question. Eq might be helpful in hiding phase problems that weren't noticed during tracking, but it's only a band-aid, not a correction.

Jason

The strangest kick drum setup I've seen recently was a leather suitcase with a D112 inside (the pedal beats against the suitcase) and a floor tom laid in front with a sen. 421 on the head.

The strangest kick drum setup I've seen recently was a leather suitcase with a D112 inside (the pedal beats against the suitcase) and a floor tom laid in front with a sen. 421 on the head.

before going to deep into (marketingplan brand X ;-) the mikething, don't forget that the real impact from a live recorded kick comes most of the time from compression. I get very decent results, even with a 57 (yes i still get low end out of that), but i'll need a damn good compressor to complete the task.... That's how i get my "in your face" kickdrumsounds.

For the rest, trust your ears, if they don't like it, it's usually wrong http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif ....

Also good monitoring is a must on this....

just my 0.02.

Tony dB

This message has been edited by Tony dB on 07-08-2001 at 08:38 AM

Archived