Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

adding eq via inserts

i use a 32 channel fender mixing console.i want to add eq to my subgroups.should i add via sub master inserts or is there another way? if i add eq via insert do i need to use trs connectors or is there another way?what about adding compression/limiting after the eq if i am using the trs connectors? any help is appreciated thanks.p.s the added eq is for vocal subgroup and the second eq is for the drum sub.

This message has been edited by ob1tsj on 06-26-2001 at 08:41 PM

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll probably get a cleaner signal if you use the onboard eq (or none at all). I try to stay "in the board" during mixing, unless there is no other way to fix it.

I'm not sure why you would need to "buss" your eq; I would think it's rare that more than 1 (mono) channel needs the same outboard corrective eq settings as several others. -Unless you are talking about a "master stereo output" insert point.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

I'll have to agree with Hippie, keeping that signal path clean. If you're not getting the kind of EQ you want it might be the board itself, is this a live board? I'm not familiar with Fender's mixers....so I can't say.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

i want to use the eq on my vocal subgroup and my drum subgroup for more precise eq.the fender console i use has sweepable mids which is fine but it still lacks control over finer frequencies.ie,if i boost/cut a frequecy on the board around say 800Hz but i need to boost/cut around1.6k i can't do it without an outboard eq.i have an eq for overall mix,but if i try to make the adjustment there then it may affect the drums,bass, etc.but with eq on my subgroup that i have the vox on, i can fine tune without altering anything else.but my original question dealt with proper connection not why i would want to.i can't find any info on whether i can use trs connectors or if i need to connect a different way.thanks

Sounds like you're doing a 'live' situation. Just use 'Y' insert cords (stereo plug to the insert jack in the board and the other end has two mono plugs which go to your eq in/out jacks).

If you want to add a compressor to the chain, then run the send to say the EQ's in, a regular unsheilded cord from the EQ's out to the compressor in, and the return from the 'Y' connected to the compressor out.

Archived