Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mackie HDR experiences?

It's weird. Months and months have gone by since the HDR's hit the retail stores and there have been NO reviews in the magazines, and almost no discussion/experiences online ANYWHERE that I know of since the few here in (I think) March.

Have any PRO TOOLS TDM users who have since worked fairly extensively with the Mackie units formulated any opinions on one system vs. the other? The Tascam seems to have already eclipsed the Mackie in the marketplace.

I need to make some purchasing/format decisions and would REALLY appreciate hearing more about the Mackie's pros and cons.

Thanks in advance! Jim T.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mastern fool,

Thank you for the response. Have you had the opportunity to compare use with a Pro Tools system? Are there any ways to get old P.T. sessions into a Mackie? I know that they don't use AIFF files. If when you get more time-you could get a little more specific that would be great! Thanks again! Jim. Anybody else? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

The unit can import aiff files. It automatically converts them to .wav files. I have imported aiff files from my masterlink without any problems. I have not tried to bring in a pt session though.I know that the tascam time stamps files and the mackie does not so you would probably have to render your files and line them up. The unit has been pretty stable for me and only had a few crashes. There is a bug that I know of when you are zoomed as far in as you can and start scrolling I have had it crash on me. I really like the editing features although very simple it gets the job done without having to use a daw to do it. They will be adding more features in future upgrades and with the purchace of sydek I think that mackie will definately take advantage of some of soundscapes technology.There are 2 extra slots in the machine for future upgrades and wouldnt doubt that there will be some type of dsp card going in there. The tascam definately was smoother with playback imho. Sometimes the mackie skips when I hit play then stop and then rewind and hit play really fast. Punching in hasn't seemed to be a problem like some people claim. Definately saved a ton of money on ide drives compared to scsi drives. I also had problems trying to import .wav files from cd's that I converted. I use the machine everyday and it sounds good to my ears and does the job great for me.

-Z-

zeuss,

THANK YOU for the detailed response!!! Your post is the first place that I have been able to get info. I hadn't heard about punch-in bugs, skipping, comparisons in use to Tascam,etc. Thanks also for the AIFF file conversion info! If you ever have the opportunity to import a Pro Tools session could you please get back to me (email if you like) to let me know how THAT goes? I REALLY appreciate this! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Jim T.

Others?????

Edgar Watson Howe

Hi Paul, Thanks. I've read some of them. Sounds like a great unit.

I'm still interested in the Mackie though because of it's "everywhere" dealer network for ease of repair and ez purchase of replacement drives etc..... Jim.

Edgar Watson Howe

Archived