Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

motu 828 firewire audio

Not perfect, but darn close. I just got an 828 running with a blue G3 400, 448 megs ram, OS 9.1 (required for the latest Firewire drivers), 36 gig ultra scsi drive for audio (with the $89 Adaptec 2930 PCI scsi card.) 16 tracks puts the performance meter at about 20%. This is a 16 bit ADAT project in Digital Performer, with a couple of Antares Mic Mods turned on. (24 bit is an option, but it also adds 50% to hard drive space, and anyway, whos going to hear the difference?) You cant connect more than one 828, so if youre planning on expanding your rig, this isnt the way to go. But it seems to be working fine. You get 8 inputs via the ADAT or analog, and 8 analog outs, so you dont have to mess around with the on-screen mixer when youre tracking overdubs. And then you get 16 channels for mixdown, which is enough if you can buss some stuff in Performer. The little Peavy 16 channel fader box helps, as does a second video monitor, which requires a second video card. But hey, theyre cheap, under $100.

Now the weird stuff. The ADAT sync is freaky. You have to roll tape first and then hit play on the computer. If you have play enabled when the ADAT starts, the sync is all whacky.

On my unit I couldnt get the RCA spdf input to work, but running my RCA spdf source through the little $69 Midiman converter box gets it into the 828 via the optical port just fine. Peak 2.5 works, and the RCA spdf output works, for sending mastered tracks back to the DAT deck.

Considering that the 828 driver software is at only version 1.02, the thing can only get better. And anyway, who wants perfection? That would be too easy. And just think what wondrous thing might come along that I can drop in that free PCI slot. Perhaps a DSP Talent Enhancer?

------------------

Mr.Dunc

Mr.Dunc

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motu tech sent instructions for calibrating the RCA spdf input. You need to take the cover off. No big deal. You'd think they'd put this info on their website, since this was a common problem with 'some' units, but considering that they answered the phone on the first ring, I can't complain.

The ADAT sync is still a mystery, but lock up is instant, and accurate, so it's just a matter of changing work habits.

Mr.Dunc

Archived