Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Want to get rid of IE from Win9X? - Read this!

For those using a Win9X O.S. for audio work who are sick of sluggish performance and I.E. related lockups and crashes this might be an answer....

http://www.98lite.net/products.html

Win98lite apparently lets you customize the 'non' customizable components of Win9X. You can uninstall any version of IE from 3.0 onwards. Yes take IE and REMOVE IT!! Now didn't Microsoft say this couldn't be done? You can also remove media player and a lot of the other Windows crap that normally comes embedded in the O.S. The preview version is freeware, the Pro Version is payware. Looks like it could be good for a custom Windows setup. It's suppose to load faster, run faster and be much more stable... so they say. I've got six partitions on a 45 gig drive so I'll try a 'gutted' version of 98 and see how it performs.

"WARNING!" - this artificial fruit juice may contain traces of REAL FRUIT!!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rowan:

For those using a Win9X O.S. for audio work who are sick of sluggish performance and I.E. related lockups and crashes this might be an answer....

I used this, and it does indeed make Win98 faster, but I still got lots of crashes (I have a feeling Win98 doesn't like certain hardware that I have).

I might be one of the few people still using it, but I love Windows 95b... With my hardware, I've found it to be the most reliable *and* fastest version of Windows.

I dual boot with a freeware program called My Boot Manager and have one Win95 system for music only (no IE or unnecessary stuff) and another installation for general use (word processor, games, etc.). I disabled any unnecessary hardware in the music installation and also *never* install anything new unless I am totally sure it's something I need. (Luckily, I have access to several "junk" computers where I can evaluate software before putting it on my "real" machine.)

It takes a little bit of patience to set up things this way, but the results have been well worth it.

This message has been edited by popmusic on 05-09-2001 at 10:29 AM

Archived