Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Examples of Auto-tune: song titles?

God, you guys are like a bunch of bloodhounds with clogged noses. You couldn't find the beach if you were wading in the ocean. Autotune is all over the place, and 93% of your posts deal with a record that was made with a Digitech box. DUH!

Check out the latest Madonna CD, the one with the cowboy hat. Mirwais painstakingly applied autotune to INDIVIDUAL SYLLABLES! How's that for a man with patience?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stepped and robotic quality comes from setting glide time to zero. The step comes for the vocals actually being a glide up, but the autotune snaps it and makes the stepped effect. Simple really.

If you want to actually correct vocals to sound natural you have like a 50ms glide time, or more. With zero -> robot.

Why dont you download rbc voice tweakser from www.rbcaudio.com and play with it.

/Z

cher's producers were trying to protect us from the inevitable saturation of that effect by throwing everyone else off the scent and claiming to use this Digitech Talker, which is essentially a talk box made for guitar. however, once the secret got out, everyone started using it.

most recent culprit: "Going crazy crazy crazy just thinking about you baby"

When will it end?

I can't believe it's 2am and I just read a whole thread about Cher. I hate Cher.

John Lennon never used autotune. Hell he even used things like the vari-speed on the tape machine to make himself sound worse.

I'm glad so many people can get autotune to work for them. I can't figure out how to set the scale thing, let alone how to figure out what key I'm in. Rock truly is dead.

-rob

Originally posted by robotobon@home.com:

I can't believe it's 2am and I just read a whole thread about Cher. I hate Cher.

John Lennon never used autotune. Hell he even used things like the vari-speed on the tape machine to make himself sound worse.

I'm glad so many people can get autotune to work for them. I can't figure out how to set the scale thing, let alone how to figure out what key I'm in. Rock truly is dead.

-rob

John lennon would have used it if it were around at that time........

Originally posted by masternfool:

John lennon would have used it if it were around at that time........

I highly dissagree. In fact, I think if it were around in his time he'd have made some legedary statement that we'd be overusing now.

Not to mention most studio musicians like the Beatles had their acts so well together that our favorite hits from those days were first or second takes, LIVE!

Autotune Elvis? Not likely!

-rob

I reeeeeaally doubt GM would have used it!

I'ts just another tool to further distract our attention to what it's all about... music..

Of course *we* can hear through da bullshit, but the *general public* (the other 2 billion people - you've seen 'em) can't I'm afraid. (Not talking the Cher *song*, but Autotune in general)

That's worries me a lot.

What is this sickening state modern music is heading towards? Faultless, perfect human beings? Freaky future.. that won't happen. We make mistakes, we're out of tune, off pitch, we miss a beat and so on.

At least that's what happen when humans actually play music. It would be cool if music/records sounded like that. I mean I can't be fooled anymore..

<

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly dissagree. In fact, I think if it were around in his time he'd have made some legedary statement that we'd be overusing now.

>>

I read a quote from George Harrison recently in a British music mag--he said "I've fired Jeff Lyne from being my producer, because I'm tired of him taking my msic and making ELO records. I can't stand drum machines--they sound bad and they make me ill. On my new record, you'll hear guitar, bass, and drums."

You know, I don't mean to pick on the guy--he is obviously not without some talent--but I thought the worst thing about Free As a Bird was Jeff Lynne's touch. It really sounds like a quantized drum track with Ringo adding a few fills. Ick.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

Archived