Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ADAT/Edit

When the ADAT/Edit first came out I bought the card and discovered the software (in spite of advertisements to the contrary) would not edit 20 bit files. I returned it for a refund.

Does anybody know if Alesis has the problem solved yet? I liked the ability to back up my tapes to hard drive but I wanted to be able to edit the tracks without spending hundreds more on stand alone software. They still advertise the ability to transfer and edit tracks.

------------------

Mark G.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mark,

The newest version of ADAT/Edit handles 20 & 24 bit conversion. It has also been updated so that it can be used as a hard disk recorder (turning your computer into another ADAT). Also added was a feature in Edit that during playback/sequencing allows it to sync to ADAT sync which is very accurate.

We gave up on this card long ago.I can't vouch for how it performs on a Mac but on the PC side it's been nothing but trouble.We pulled it out of the mothballs to give it another shot after we heard of the driver updates(Asio for PC)and when we fired up Cubase to our surprise when we tried to click on the the control panel we realized there is no control panel for this card,in other words you can't control the ASIO buffer size.We also tried to download the new version of Adat Edit(Logic)and after 3 tries the download is still corrupt.We replaced it long ago with the Frontier and finnaly rid ourselves of the multitude of problems this card presented on the PC side.Anyone wan't to buy a used...............
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I sold mine because in no way could I get it to function as a "virtual ADAT." The version of logic that shipped with it sends all audio tracks to a single stereo pair of physical outputs, for one. You'd really need a JL Cooper datasync to make it work with anything other than the full version of Logic. I'd also get seemingly random clicks and pops during transfer, and horrible horrible sync noise at the beginning of transfers.

Hmmm, I sometimes get a big multi channel noise at the beginning of transfers, but no more random clicks & such since upgrading my PC (900 MHz Cele). I don't use the ADAT/edit software though, only the ADAT connect. I edit in Cake 9.03 with no problems whatsoever. Using my computer as master, my ADAT has always synced perfectly for transfers and Cake see's all the outputs on the card so along with my stereo card, I can run 10 balanced channels into the mixer if I want to 'hands on' mix with external effects. It was always my impression that the emagic software was just a dinky version of their 'real' expensive software and designed to make you want more & thus upgrade. You really ought to check Cakewalk 9 as it's good and stable and being blown out for cheap since Sonor is coming out.

I have two of the adat/edit PCR cards running as slaves on 2 different Athlon pc's. I also have an AI-3 convertor on one of them. Digital Timepiece is the master for the entire studio. I don't use the bundled Emagic program. The cards work fine, transfer fine, sync fine, and sound fine on all the programs I've used them with over the past year and a half. No problems, no glitches, no noise. My only minor hassle awhile back was that I had to set up Gigastudio on a different machine with a different card because there are no GSIF drivers from Alesis.

>>I don't use the bundled Emagic program. The cards work fine, transfer fine, sync fine, and sound fine on all the programs I've used them with over the past year and a half. No problems, no glitches, no noise. <<

This has been my experience as well (although I use only one card). Mostly I use it to edit tracks in the computer, then send them back to the ADAT.

Ahah! So glad I stumbled on this thread. I am working with a blind musician, helping him get up and running with digital audio. He has always tracked to ADAT (black face) and I want to help him get tracks into Cakewalk and SoundForge for editing, but there have always been problems with the ADAT Connect software. Even when it works, it is not easy for blind guys to use.

Do tell, What software are you using for transfers? Does it create a wav file for each track transferred?

Rubber Lizard Studio

Archived