Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer B-2

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to say if it's a good or bad mic because I have not tried it yet. But I will say this: If it's a Behringer, it's NOT made out of Neumann parts, no matter what rumours you hear. There's no WAY a Neumann diaphram could be in that mic. First of all, Neumann would never soil their stellar reputation by getting invloved with a company like Behringer. Secondly, a 'real" Neumann capsule would cost more than the entire Behringer mic's list price.

It *might* use a Neumann design for the preamp and / or capsule - but that would be just typical Behringer funny business. They've been sued before for "borrowing" other company's designs and just making them over in China with cheap labor and trying to sell them as their own designs.

Hey, I'm not trying to be harsh - some of their stuff is pretty good sounding for the money, but knowing what I know about them, I just won't purchase their stuff new, no matter how cool or cheap it is.

If you're looking for inexpensive mics, there's lots of other alternatives you might want to consider. Rode, CAD, Marshall and several other companies make pretty darn good large diaphram condensers that won't cost much more (if any) than the Behringer. There's been several "microphone" threads on these forums, so check them out, and ask some questions. Ultimately, your own ears and budget will have to decide, but this is a good place for some input from other users.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Check out Gefell Microphones- you may remember the "Perestroika" mic.

Before the war, it was Neumann/Gefell, and they continued with Mr. Neumann's designs for all these years. The mics start at about 3 times the price of the Behringer you mention, about 4 times for the least expensive mic that has original U47-design components, I believe.

Not cheap Neumann knock-offs, just another branch of the family, with their own excellent qualities.

I just picked up a B2 for evaluation, will try it in the next few days.

A close close look at the design and the construction reveals that the dual capsule is a Neumann-look-alike and the hardware have more than a lot in common with similar offerings from ADK/Marshall/Carvin/Audix/Meek (diaphragm & hardware on all of them is probably made by chinese company Sound King), but the B2 electronics seems quite different and it looks like some serious effort has been made in the design of this part.

After basic measurement we will compare it to the following microphones: Shure KSM32, AKG C3000B, Milab VIP-50, Microtech Gefell UM70, Oktava 319, Neumann U87.

We will use 3 different signal chains: Through console to recorder + through transistor-preamp straight to recorder + through tube-preamp straight to recorder. Recorder is Otari Radar II 24bit/48 Khz. Monitoring will be through HHB Circle 3A and Westlake LC 8.1 with muffs.

The listening group will consist of 4 staff engineers, no one will be informed beforehand of what microphones they are listening to.

A short report to this board will follow.

Any suggestions for evaluation methods are welcome!

Best regards,

Mats Olsson

This message has been edited by mats.olsson@rockfile.se on 02-11-2001 at 03:04 PM

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Hello Mats,

I will be very happy to see the results from this test.

Somewhere on the net I saw that Behringer produced this mic in collaboration with one of the biggest mic companys but it did'nt say what company. My first message indicates Neumann but I heard that from the store and I usually don't belive everything they say.

Got a hold of a B-2 today. Unfortunately, I don't have the capability to try anything but my own voice on it. First indication: it sounds really good! Tomorrow I'm taking it to a store to A/B it versus the higher priced mics. Doubt it'll stand against a Neumann, but I'm sure the Rode's can start sweating.

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

I use some Behringer products ok? But let me say, as a dealer, a salesman and a service tech, There is not one Behringer product that stands up to it's mimic'd counterpart!

Have you ever opened up the Euro mixers? EW! Mackie was WAY cleaner! Have you experienced the dead out of the box compressors and crossovers? Howabout the foriegn power supply units shipped in the USA chassis with USA power cables, that was great for business. Then the plant in Russia went to hell, literally, and then we couldn't get any product, and now only the BID dealers get it it quick.

Shit, I'll take Mackie, DBX, Aphex and whoever else they try to emulate over them. I know that I can get good support and the people at the rep firm won't give me some songa and dance about delivery dates and product availablity.

Man, I feel better, but my fingers hurt!

The new stuff IS much better, at least as far as quality control. The rep in my area has told me that out of the thousands of pieces sold in the last 9 months, only three had to be sent back to the factory for repair because of a defect... not a bad ratio!

I've tried the B-2 pretty thoroughly... it does a great job on my voice, works nicely as a room mic on my guitar amps, and does ok on my acoustic. Compared it to the Rode NT1, the Rode had a little but of a boost on the high end. Good? Bad? Your choice. Frankly, I thought it didn't sound as natural. These are my opinions, of course. It's no Neumann, but at the price, I'm not expecting one! Damn good mic for the money!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

• 3 months later...

My verdict on the B2? Not bad, but not very good either.

I guess the quality control is the weakest link: I had two of them on loan. Identical twins on the outside, but sounded different (!)... Neither of them sounded any better than any of the mikes I compared it to (Shure KSM32, AKG C3000B, Milab VIP-50, Microtech Gefell UM70, Oktava 319, Neumann U87). From a friend I also borrowed an ADK, a sibling to the B2, and of those two I would pick the ADK - but I probably rather would buy a used brand name mike. I have just noticed that there is a new batch of B2's in the shops that looks a little different - perhaps it is better sounding too?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived