Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

any of you guys using the tascam 428,roland edirol....

or event software controllers ? If so how are they working for you ? Will this be the only interface i need to get stuff into my puter ? Sure seems easier than the ole mouse approach. Been told delta 10-10 and logic audio is where i need to be but will these controllers replace the delta or will i still need one with the supplied soundcard ? Thanks for helping this first timer out.. Only been on a computer for 5 or 6 weeks now. Man this stuff gets confusing sometimes..... Thanks..... Nunn.......

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're really differnt animals. The USB devices tend to have more interface options (faders etc.). Sound cards are a more a la carte approach -- they give you I/O, but it's up to you to come up with controllers, should you wish to use them (generally, I use a Peavey PC-1600 MIDI fader box or the fader layer on my DA7 to provide the control).

Although I hear good comments about the Tascam box (which was designed by Frontier Design, who do good work), there are still some issues with USB, MIDI, and audio. Windows has a more trouble-free USB implementation right now, but that may change when OS X hits the street for the Mac. Also, there needs to be a controller template for you to use a box like the US-428 with particular pieces of software. Contact Tascam to see if they have a template for Logic (I'm pretty sure they have one for Cubase).

The USB boxes are also a good choice for laptops, which aren't card-friendly anyway. USB may be the only way to get audio in and out that doesn't involve on-board sound capabilities (generally not pro-level).

At the risk of misjudging your situation due to needing more info, I'd give this rule of thumb: if you're a fairly casual user who wants to get things done with a minimum of fuss, a USB box would be a good choice, assuming it works with your software and computer. If you're into this from a serious level and need to shuttle lots of signals in and out of your computer, particularly digital audio, a quality sound card would be the way to go (the MIDIman stuff is fine, I reviewed the 1010 and it sounded great).

Hope this helps. Option overload is a big problem these days!

Archived