Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic on a Powerbook G3 or G4

I'd like to run Logic Audio on a Powerbook G3 or G4, but I'm concerned about the dongle issue. Does Logic support a challenge/response system that eliminates the need for the dongle? If not, how does it attach to the Mac? I've searched Emagic's web site, but I couldn't find an answer there.

Also, any recommendations for a suitable audio interface?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, you'll need a USB dongle to run Logic Audio Platinum on a G3/G4 Powerbook. It works fine. IMO, the dongle is preferable to challenge / response. The Pismo (G3) and Titanium (G4) Powerbooks both have 2 USB ports--you can plug the dongle into one and a MIDI or audio interface into the other.

BTW, check out Emagic's new EMI 2|6 USB audio interface announced at NAMM: 24-bit capable, about the size of a VHS cassette, and receives it's power from the USB port. Looks to be great for getting sound into and out of Logic on a laptop!

well, there's a sort of "fucked up" solution to the dongle with a laptop. You can carefully remove the cover of the dongle with a knife and electrical tape the chip to the cord and then the cord to the side of your laptop. It's much lighter that way.
If you live in the Washington Metro area, check out Slave Audio

>>You can carefully remove the cover of the dongle with a knife and electrical tape the chip to the cord and then the cord to the side of your laptop. <<

Sounds courageous to me! But it also sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

What about hooking up to a USB hub, and letting that take the weight?

Archived