Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where does MELODYNE fit in?

Dear Craig et al.,

I read the review of the Melodyne software from NAMM, produced by Celemony (www.celemony.com) and wondered how it is meant to be integrated into a software setup.

It can't be used for chords, but can it at least record them?

It can be integrated with other editors/sequencers/recording programs, but wouldn't that make this just another plug-in?

Please update me . . .

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It works on monophonic files in regards to pitch and time, as for polyphonic files, it might do some time manipulations. The mac version is what was being demoed at NAMM, the PC version will be available late summer (I hope). The quote from the lit at NAMM for tech requirements -

"Melodyne supports ASIO2 and hosts VST1 plugin, runs on Mac OS9 and Mac OS X and will run on Windows. It requires a processor with 300Mhz and 128 MB of main memory. Melodyne supports many audio formats and can be integrated into most recording environments."

You can email them for particulars at melodyne@celemony.com

I, for one, can't wait to get it. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

yes, they were quite quick to respond to me as well!

But my question still stands - has this program created a niche for itself, a la Antares Auto-Tune, or are we to look at it as a plug in.

With permission, the e-mail:

> One specific question - if I use Melodyne as my primary editor, is it

possible

> to record chords with it - i.e. guitar, piano, etc. - if I don't intend

to

> formant/pitch/timbre shift them, or is it SOLELY monophonic tracking?

Though Melodyne is not intended to be another full featured harddisk

recording system, you can (of course) record and mix anything you want.

Only

Melodyne's specific way to edit audio is limited to monophonic tracks.

Carsten Gehle

The specific way to edit audio is, of course, what we're all interested in - but just how many programs will I end up running if I 'program collect' based on the things I think I need to do to audio (and, yes, unfortunately, tuning is something I seem to need to do a lot of - and as painlessly as possible)

Archived