Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Forge 5 Betat available

Downloadable from http://www.sonicfoundry.com

Seems to work pretty well - some cool new features. Won't replace WaveLab 3 most likely, but if the upgrade price is decent, I'll be back on board.

Could be my imagination, but the audio clip I played back for testing it (that I recorded a while back) really sounded nice - especially while trying out some Wave plugins.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been working with this thing all day. I think it sounds great...the Wave Hammer, Spectrum Analysis and Acoustic Mirror have been very useful, although they're plug-ins. I currently use 4.0, so I don't know what is new for 5.0 vs. 4.5. Free full beta version until March 19 is a great deal - no bugs so far!

I'm VERY happy to see signs of life from Sonic Foundry. They make great stuff, and it's too bad they've had to do some re-structuring. What really is upsetting, though, is that if everyone who had Acid or Sound Forge paid for it instead of getting a cracked copy from the Internet, we'd probably be on Sound Forge 6.0 and Acid 4.0 by now.

Craig Anderton said:

>>I'm VERY happy to see signs of life from Sonic Foundry.<<

Me too, since I've bought (and regularly use) several of their apps.

>> They make great stuff<<

Agreed!

>> and it's too bad they've had to do some re-structuring.

I also agree with this.

>> What really is upsetting, though, is that if everyone who had Acid or Sound Forge paid for it instead of getting a cracked copy from the Internet, we'd probably be on Sound Forge 6.0 and Acid 4.0 by now.<<

I agree with the thought here too. I'm anti-piracy in general.

*My* concern is I keep purchasing their plug in stuff, and then they add it as an included item to the next upgrade of a major product such as Vegas or Sound Forge. They did it with the XFX 1-3 with SF and Vegas Audio, and now they're doing it with Acoustic Mirror (which was actually called Acoustic Modeller way back when I bought it).

I still purchase the upgrades as I need the other added features, but somehow this doesn't seem fair to me. I know I'm going to be getting a lot of additional features besides the Acoustic Mirror (and I really want that 24 bit file support), but it seems like I'm also partially paying twice for stuff I've already purchased from them. Does that bother anyone else?

It's really not that big a deal to me, but it almost feels like the lesson here is "buy our main programs, and just wait on any of *our* plug ins, because we'll throw them in as a free bonus when you purchase the next update."

Again, not that big a deal, but it does kinda irk me. I know they're just trying to add value and features, make a profit and stay in business just like the rest of us, and they have my continued support and good wishes on that!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

• 4 weeks later...

Thought you ought to know about this...SF 5.0 for $99 seems like a helluva deal. And everyone who uses a cracked copy can clear their conscience somewhat by supporting SF when they need it the most.

-------

The most anticipated upgrade in Sonic Foundry's product line

has arrived: Sound Forge 5.0. It's the new standard for digital

audio editing.

And available for a very limited time for only $US 99.

This special price is to say "thanks" to all the users who have

established Sound Forge as the industry's leading audio editor.

Thanks to the professionals who demand Sound Forge in the studio.

Thanks to the engineers, producers, and artists who provided years

of feedback and support to create this newest version, Sound Forge 5.0.

The special price is also an invitation to introduce beginners to

digital audio editing. If you're involved in Internet audio, broadcast,

multimedia creation, web development, or any type of application

where you need to manipulate sound - from professional production

to editing your MP3's - now's your chance to discover why Sound Forge

is the industry's choice for digital audio editing.

Download the full-featured version of Sound Forge 5.0 for only $US 99.

Only through March 19. Only direct from Sonic Foundry.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/promo.asp?keycode=6672

Sound Forge 5.0 includes:

o 24-bit /32-bit float/192 kHz support

o 18 DirectX Audio Plug-Ins (including Sonic Foundry's

XFX 1, XFX 2, and XFX 3)

o Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror

o NEW Track-at-once CD Burning

o NEW CD Ripping

o NEW Wave Hammer Mastering Tools

(Compressor and Volume Maximizer)

o NEW Perfect Clarity Audio

o FREE Vegas Audio LE Multitrack Editing Software

o NEW Look and Feel

The functionality you've demanded. The reliability of Sound Forge.

State of the art features. Put it to work on your PC immediately.

Download now. $US 99. The special price will appear in your

shopping basket when you check out.

Preorder the boxed version of Sound Forge 5.0 for only $US 149.99.

The box will ship in mid-March. This offer also expires on March 19.

The special price will appear in your shopping basket when you check out.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/promo.asp?keycode=6673

Upgrading? All upgrades from any version of Sound Forge or

Sound Forge XP during this period are $US 99.

Move up to 5.0 at incredible savings, and experience the newest

version of the industry's top-selling digital audio editor.

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/promo.asp?keycode=6674

Download for $US 99:

Preorder the box for $US 149:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/promo.asp?keycode=6673

The best just got better: Sound Forge 5.0. Get yours now.

Need more info? Read the Sound Forge 5.0 FAQ at:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/support/default.asp?pageid=1604&FAQ=32

Sonic Foundry Inc.

www.sonicfoundry.com

Customer Service and Sales: 1.800.577.6642

Sure it's a helluva deal, especially if you have never purchased Sound Forge before. However, it really doesn't seem fair that previous users who upgraded over the years spending hundreds of dollars in the process are getting the same deal as everyone else. I'm sure that I'll fork out the cash for the upgrade, but still, it doesn't seem right. At least give registered users a $10 or $20 price advantage or something. It would still be a steal for new users if they were charged $129-149 for SF 5. Am I alone here?

-Dylan

Hey guys, there is something fishy here! I went to sonic foundry's site and saw nothing about this special offer even after going through the initial stages of check-out. Their price is $449. What gives? Also Craig's last post sounded like an ad for the company. Craig, did you make that post, or has an imposter learned how to post under your name?

hum

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

>>Craig, did you make that post, or has an imposter learned how to post under your name?<<

That was a copy of the email they sent out to me, because I'm a registered user. As I said, it seemed like a helluva deal, and there was interest in the beta and people seemed to like it, sooo...

As to the upgrade issue, the people who are getting taken the most are the people who bought all the plug-ins over the years (most of the previous upgrades were relatively inexpensive). But the price of software, like everthing else, comes down over time. Hard drives cost less than a couple years ago, memory costs less, processing power costs less, software costs less.

The question is whether something makes you productive enough to justify the cost of ownership. If it does, it's worth being an early adopter. Otherwise, it's worth waiting.

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>Craig, did you make that post, or has an imposter learned how to post under your name?<<

That was a copy of the email they sent out to me, because I'm a registered user. As I said, it seemed like a helluva deal, and there was interest in the beta and people seemed to like it, sooo...

As to the upgrade issue, the people who are getting taken the most are the people who bought all the plug-ins over the years (most of the previous upgrades were relatively inexpensive). But the price of software, like everthing else, comes down over time. Hard drives cost less than a couple years ago, memory costs less, processing power costs less, software costs less.

The question is whether something makes you productive enough to justify the cost of ownership. If it does, it's worth being an early adopter. Otherwise, it's worth waiting.

First of all, I can confirm that email - I got the exact same thing from Sonic Foundry. So there *are* benefits to using the real thing and NOT a pirated copy!

If you're going to purchase it for $99 (I downloaded mine last night) you MUST use this link:

Otherwise, it will show you the "normal" online pricing.

Craig, I agree with you regarding "the people who are getting taken the most are the people who bought all the plug-ins over the years (most of the previous upgrades were relatively inexpensive)". This was my point in my earlier post. Still, I let them take $99 from me and was glad to let them have it for the upgrade. I NEEDED 24 bit support, and now I have it. So far it runs just fine, and $99 for a major upgrade seems pretty fair to me for a professional tool. I'm still a bit miffed over the XFX 1 -3 and Acoustic Mirror stuff, but I guess I'll have to live with it. Not much of a reward for the longtime (paying) users, but a BIG benefit for the newbies.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

One curiosity though...NO guaranteed support for Windows NT???

Why has SonicFoundry bypassed the NT OS?

I run NT on many machines and have not wanted to bite-the-bullet on Windows 2000 (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Am I out of luck on the Sound Forge 5.0 update?

(DAMN...why does the SpellChecker keep crashing my Netscape!!!???)

This message has been edited by miroslav on 02-23-2001 at 12:57 PM

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I can't imagine why SF 5 wouldn't work on NT but would on 2000 or 9x. Try the demo and I'm sure that you'll find that it works just as well on NT 4.0 (if not better) than SF 4.0x. Whether or not Sonic Foundry will support it on NT is another story.

-Dylan

Well yeah, I agree, but the official Sonic Foundry position to the question is:

Will Sound Forge run under Windows NT?

Sound Forge 5.0 has NOT been tested under Windows NT. Although our software has been compatible with this platform in the past, we are unable to support or guarantee performance of Sound Forge 5.0 in a Windows NT environment.

Now to me, this is a bullshit way to side step the issue.

Who cares about "our software...compatible with (NT) in the past", and what the hell does "unable to support" really mean?

If I'm going top buy/install 5.0 on several NT machines, I need to know that SF 5.0 will not shit the bed and/or crap the machines, and I really don't have the desire or time to get one copy first and then try and make it crash before I buy more. It still just puzzles me that Sonic Foundry has decided that NT is not worth supporting???

MANY people still feel that it is way more stable than the earlier WIN x.x stuff and definitely more so than 2000.

Oh well, there is other stuff out there.

>>It still just puzzles me that Sonic Foundry has decided that NT is not worth supporting???<<

They've obviously taken their cue from Microsoft, which has essentially ended the NT line by coming out with Windows 2000, as they will (at least in theory!) end the DOS line with Windows XP.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand NT is on the way out, 2000 and XP are on the way in. The situation is similar to the Mac software that is not guaranteed to run on computers using things like 3rd party upgrade cards. Although it probably WILL run, companies don't want to spend hours on the phone with somebody who has, say, an old PowerTower machine with a G4 upgrade board and a Magma expansion chassis. They just don't want to deal with the variables. So try the demo on an NT machine, and see what happens....

I think that you'd be surprised to see how many people are still using Windows NT 4. I really don't see how supporting NT is going to slow Sonic Foundry down unless there are new features that just won't work with NT. Sure, you can't use cool features like WDM audio support in NT, but with good drivers a Windows NT box can work like a dream. Using Windows 2000 or XP is going to crank up the hardware requirements for many people who already have a smooth sailing system in NT. Keep in mind that one reason that Sound Forge has been such a huge success was that they were one of the first audio programs to work like a charm in NT. They even compiled a version for the Alpha chip! I don't use NT anymore, but I could see this a a big blow to the many people who'd like to use the new features of 5.0. BTW, I believe that Microsoft still DOES officially support NT 4.0 due to the massive amount of systems running it. Oh well, live goes on. Gotta find me $99 now so I can upgrade.

-Dylan

Originally posted by Anderton:

>>It still just puzzles me that Sonic Foundry has decided that NT is not worth supporting???<<

They've obviously taken their cue from Microsoft, which has essentially ended the NT line by coming out with Windows 2000, as they will (at least in theory!) end the DOS line with Windows XP.

B]

I'm running the Beta on NT4/SP6 with no problems. I think it is just easier for them to say they support Win2K because it is simpler for consumers to understand - and that is what most new machines ship with (unless you hose it up with 98 or ME).

The architecture on Win2K is not much different that NT4/SP6 and XP won't change that much either. Sonic Foundry has been a premier Windows developer from way back and if you do it right - as they seem to - your code will run on Windows in general.

This message has been edited by stevepow on 02-24-2001 at 03:43 AM

www.bullmoondigital.com

Originally posted by stevepow:

I'm running the Beta on NT4/SP6 with no problems...

Will you be going for the $99 upgrade on NT4/SP6 or are you just playing around with the Beta?

On my own systems I have no problems in "trying it out", but not the ones I don't own.

Boss won't buy/install "offically non-supported" software. These are all(8) NT4/SP6 boxes and I really was waiting for the stinkin' 24/96 since the 4/4.5 versions don't have it.

I guess I'll try a copy on my NT4/SP6 studio box and then go from there.

Okay, I actually found out where the previous Sound Forge user can come out ahead in this upgrade deal. The packaged version is usually $149 to any user on the mailing list, but it's only $99 for registered Sound Forge users. So, I guess that I should stop my whining and go pre-order the packaged version for $99.

-Dylan

Originally posted by miroslav:

Will you be going for the $99 upgrade on NT4/SP6 or are you just playing around with the Beta?

On my own systems I have no problems in "trying it out", but not the ones I don't own.

Boss won't buy/install "offically non-supported" software. These are all(8) NT4/SP6 boxes and I really was waiting for the stinkin' 24/96 since the 4/4.5 versions don't have it.

I guess I'll try a copy on my NT4/SP6 studio box and then go from there.

I DL'd the $99 version last night - thanks Phil for the code - I never got the email. Oddly, they did not seem concerned to verify that I had V4.5!?!

5.0 works fine on NT4/SP6 - You should just email them to verify the support or not of NT - at most it only seems like a "technicality".

I also played with the toy Vegas (LE) for quite a while with plug-ins from everywhere. Vegas has a really nice UI - I have never used it before, yet found it easier to get around in than Cakewalk, which I use often - no midi though, oh well. Stopped me from pre-buying Sonar for the moment though until I have more of a look.

For $99, I think is was OK and I did not have XFX III anyway, so I guess that's something and 8 tracks of Vegas LE will be fun to check out - Acoustic Mirror seems really cool.

Plus, there's nothing like the instant gratification of BUY and DOWNLOAD!

www.bullmoondigital.com

Archived