Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wasn't SSS on AOL Ages Ago?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW for those into conspiracy theories...SSS appeared at the same time as Windows 95, and was canned by AOL (for being too popular, but that's a whole other story!!) when Windows 98 came out.

When Windows 2000 was announced, SSS reappeared on MusicPlayer.com.

I suppose this means that when Whistler appears, we'll disappear again!

Gee... what about us Mac users... shouldn't SSS have remained indefinitely? Or was it with the appearance of OS8 that SSS vanished, only to reappear when OS9 surfaced?

God bless OS8.6!

For those who don't remember SSS on AOL, we had some great discussions and topics, a few memorable flame wars, and a real cool moderator. Makes me wonder... does HARMONICS know about the new SSS? I'd love to get more of his insights (let's see if anybody remembers who HARMONICS was!).

Back in those halcyon days of 1995, I had far fewer gray hairs in my goatee, and a whole lot more time to devote to music. Ah, the changes life brings...

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

www.radioactivedigital.com

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

You know, apparently I didn't get the memo... Didn't know that SSS was alive and squirming. 'Course, part of that is my fault since I've known about musicplayer.com for quite some time and didn't explore it properly. I haven't gotten used to these cute little cartoon icons yet...

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by JohnBartus:

. Makes me wonder... does HARMONICS know about the new SSS? I'd love to get more of his insights (let's see if anybody remembers who HARMONICS was!).

That was Jay Graydon's nom de screen, if memory serves...

SSS is definitely responsible for my addiction to newsgroups and forums.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Bryce, Ken, Bartus,

It's like old home week. It's nice seeing some of us together in the same thread.

I just had a new client that I mixed an album for last week and he started off the mix session saying how nice it was to finally meet me and how he'd followed my posts since back in the SSS days. Made me feel sorta like an old-timer! Boy five years goes by fast.

If you, or anyone, wants to read some of the hilarious threads from SSS, there are still several that are posted on my site. Including the digital fries thread and the Cyber-Spider thread, probably the most creative and wandering PC vs. Mac debate ever documented, along with the East African chinchilla raisin bran thread.

They are at http://www.3daudioinc.com/3daudio_comedy.html.

Guaranteed to bring back the gold old days.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Music Mixing and Mastering

On a scenic hilltop outside of historic

Franklin, Tennessee http://www.3daudioinc.com

email:go3daudio@aol.com

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

I actually have all forum threads archived, and am just waiting for the day to release them on an unsuspecting public

I'm so glad SSS is back. Interestingly, within the last two months, it has really regained that SSS community vibe. We now have some of our own "stars" - Lee Flier, Curve Dominant, Fletcher, Alphajerk, Tedster, Argomax - waaaaay too many to mention here, but suffice it to say SSS now has a posse. I think just as many, and probably more, people tune in to see what the posse is saying that what the "nominal head of the forum" has to say...and that's fine with me! I'm just the host of this crazy party.

i remember a lot of really humurous threads from the aol-dark-ages. digital fries was definitely one of them.

after all, if you can't look back at whatever-time-you-find-youself-with-enough-time-to-spout and make at least a little light of it you've lost the plot.

a good sense of humour goes a long way. it just got me through a christmas party where i patiently listened to some idiot tell me that mp3 files sounded better than anything else out there. it's the future.

i nodded and stared at my drink. but at least i didn't try to throttle him.

side note: i'm not touching a cell phone or computer for the next two weeks. i will be on captiva island, fl. feeding seagulls and sifting sand through my toes. making slushie drinks with nothing more than frozen strawberries, 151, and a blender.

and hoping to come back next year to fulfill my new years resolution. (make albums not commercials, and pay rent)

merry whatever to whoever. peash.

judson snell

slang music group

judson snell

slang music group

chicago, il

Dave Bryce wins the "Guess Who HARMONICS Was" contest! Congrats and look for your prize -- an ADAT Classic w/ a side of digital fries -- in the mail.

It's good to see a lot of us still around, still making music and posting posts. SSS is alive and well -- this time, we've even got Fletcher!

------------------

John Bartus

Radio Active Productions

We Make Great Radio Happen - Guaranteed.

1-888-93-RADIO

John Bartus

Music From The Fabulous Florida Keys

www.johnbartus.com

www.cdbaby.com/bartus

Archived