Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do I go about getting an internship/assistant job?

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out with a question here. I moved to NYC about a year ago to be a musician and it's going really well, but I also want to do engineering. I want to take advantage of all the studios (opportunities?) that are out here and try to get an intership or assistant job so that I could get started. But to be honest I'm not sure what to do. I know that I need a resume but I'm not quite sure what should and shouldn't be on it. I have been in lot's of recording studios and I have a small hard-disc based project studio and I feel that I know the basics. I also know that I don't want to embellish (save myself some embarassment). I know that there are schools out here, but to be honest it's just not my thing. I would really love some opinions or pointers as to how I should go about this. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A recording program with an internship will most likely be your best bet. However, if you're willing to go the unpaid internship route for a while, contact as many studios as possible and ask people who might know those in the studio. I had 2 internship opportunites, before I even started recording.

Unique, at 47th and 7th "hires" quite a few interns.

Ask Alon, at Alonmix@aol.com what to put on the resume. He worked there for a long time.

PLUS, he posts all over here, so he might see it before you have to email him.

------------------

Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

I got my start in engineering as an unpaid intern when I lived in Los Angeles. I just put an ad in a local music rag indicating that I was interested in an internship and I got several calls. I was 18 and pretty much willing to do anything, although I didn't have a resume. I had some recording experience, but mostly as a musician.

I think studios are more impressed with someone who is willing to start at the bottom and work hard than somebody with a lot of credentials and a formal resume. A lot of people might have those, or at least be able to convince someone that they have them. So what makes you any different?

One thing I have noticed in talking to commercial studio owners these days is that a lot of kids coming out of recording schools or even without a recording school certificate really have a bad attitude. They think the world owes them something and they are going to get some great job right away. They might refuse to take out the garbage or sweep the floor (how exactly do they think these things get done?) and expect to start getting paid the minute they think they know something.

Even if you cold-call studios, letting them know you really want to help them as well as learn will impress the owner. I spent a year as an intern, during which time I helped build a new studio, aligned tape machines and sometimes got to operate the tape or be a second engineer, and did a lot of taking out the garbage and sweeping the floor. I learned a ton because there is no substitute for BEING in a studio, learning how the pros solve problems, learning to discern between different sounds, etc. etc. I did not kid myself into thinking I knew everything just because I knew the basics of the technical stuff or even because I happen to have good ears.

Anyway I hope by now you are getting the idea that attitude is the most important factor in getting an intern gig. Having good people skills is something that will really help you later on too, if and when you become a pro engineer.

--Lee

I'm so impressed with how considerate everyone has been with my topic that I thought I would write a quick thank you. I dropped off my first resume today (crossed fingers). I will take your advice to heart and I know that I'm better off because of it. Once again, thanks.

Matt

Archived