Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Building (affordable) bass rig 101

When switching from guitar to bass about 6 years ago, I purchased gear before I realized what kind of sound I was after (rookie mistake). Since then I've tried to alter my sound a bit with what I have. I tend to be a "pocket" player with my current gig, strictly rhythm/groove/roots, though occassional punch and slap.

I own a beautiful 4 string Stingray which goes into a Trace Elliot GP7 150. This feeds a new Eden D-210MBX (kickback model) and some no-name 1x15 which I bought quickly when I needed something same day for a gig (when my old one died).

Anyway, the Eden helped get some punch and changing my strings to flatwounds sometimes helps a bit, but I don't get much growl or thump without massive EQ-ing. When I use the "active" switch, I get all mid-rangy. I tried out the Ampeg svt-3 and B5, both of which I liked. Do I need to shell out for a mid-70's P-bass through and Ampeg stack or is there some other option to tweak what I already own and not break the bank?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if you're looking for "growl," then flatwounds aren't the way to go. As far as the "thump" goes, it sounds like maybe your 15 isn't doing what it should. Maybe it's not compatible with your amp, or maybe it's just no-name crap. Check out some other 15" cabinets and see what they do for you.

Unfortunately I'm not a gearhead when it comes to bass stuff these days (synths and computers is another story).

I play a five string fretless through an SWR Bassic Black combo and I love the sound. Any SWR cabinet with a 15" in it that I've played through has always sounded real nice to me, so you might want to look into their cabinets (they tend to be a little pricey, though).

I would say flat wound strings are not the way to go unless you are trying to save the neck of a fretless. Even then, try ground wound. I use Dean Markley Blue Steel with great results. Tip of the day - when the strings start sounding dead, boil them for a few minutes and they come back to life. They do not stay fresh as long, but it can increase the life of expensive strings. My rig is a Musicman 5 string/G&L 2000 with a Gallien Kruger 800RB and a Boogie cabinet with a 15" and a horn. Takes care of the highs, lows, punchy, funky...

Always remember to use proper facial expressions (ie: bass face) when hitting the groove.

-David R.

-David R.

has anyone heard the new swr head with a sub synthesis? im curious what it sounds like. more speakers means more air being moved. and that 15" could be a POC.

i doubt its your bass. take your head into a store and plug it into various cabinets and see if you can get the sound that you are looking for. if not, then i might be the head you dont dig. i would get a 4x10/1x15 or a 8x10 cabinet [what i really want]. i got a 2x15 fender bassman cab/head and its deep as hell. bridging the two channels gives lots of range to the sound.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Last I heard, the SWR 'Mobass" head was still vaporware and would be for a while (did Mackie buy them or something?) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Anyway, definitely change strings, and try a better fifteen. I totally loved the sound of my Eden D410XLT, but some people were happier with my Bag End setup (not the soundman, it was a 2x10 and an 18). Anyway, good luck!

One thing, which maybe you already know, is not to judge your bass sound standing close to the amp/cab. Most bass rigs don't focus until 20 or 30 feet out at least, so you have to stand back to tell what's going on and what the audience will hear. Also if you are listening in a relatively small practice room, standing waves could be canceling some of your sound. Bass needs space.

[This message has been edited by stevepow (edited 09-23-2000).]

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

I heard Carvin RL6815 bass amp in a club that I know. It was incredable! The overall volume, defined low-end, bite, & growl, was unequalled by any bass rigs that I've heard in that place. I looked in their catalog and it is $849. for the whole thing. They have separate cabinets with what appear to be the same speakers, but the one-piece setup is a 600 watts RMS bi-amp. Neil

I have a 70s Ampeg B-15-N portaflex with a single 15" in it. It gives the ultimate "growl" with a P-Bass, but is pretty amazing with a Jazz Bass as well. I used it with a MusicMan Sabre a couple of times and it worked great also. I'm not sure if it would be loud enough to gig with, but for recording rock and all kinds of "groove" music it's my favourite for sure. Can't go wrong with the Fender/Ampeg combo!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Brent Bodrug

www.bgroupmusic.com

All good info guys. Thanks for the feedback. I actually tried out a few Gallien-Kruger heads. A friend of mine swears by them since 1983. Really road-worthy. I tried the 400rb and the 700 bi-amp model through a similar Eden cab to what I have. The P-Bass sounded really rich (also tried the new Hot Rod P-Bass which actually had a more punch w/ the added J pickup).

I agree that the 1x15 no-name I have will go eventually, but I'm still not sure that the Trace Elliot is the right head for me. Any other suggestions on strings that might help my Stingray get more low end growl definitely appreciated.

I have played on jam night on a guys Trace Elliot with an Ampeg single 15 on bottom and 4-10 on top, I have never heard anything so lifeless in my life as this setup. My normal setup is my 64 Gibson Thunderbird with Seymor Duncans into a 1976 Acoustic-270 with two seperate single 15 cabs stacked. It sounds like New England thunder with a trace of Moog Taurus pedals when I strum a chord.

You're going to have a tough time getting growl out of any flatwounds. If you want a relatively smooth string with growl, you might try Elixers. They have a fairly bright sound, but have a coating on them that reduces some of the "zing" and they are relatively growly. I also have a potential answer, though an expensive one, for your cabinet. I tried many cabinets and found the 4-10s to not have enough bottom, but the 15's to be too flabby. I found my own "heaven" when I bought an Epifany 2x12" cabinet ($875). It handles 600 watts and is the best cabinet I've ever played through. At first I was using a GK 800 with it, but moved to an SVT 4 Pro head to get the extra headroom I like. Basses include a Jazz bass, Hot Rodded P-Bass, and a G&L L2000.

Thanks for the string advice. I actually picked up a set of Ken Smith 45/105's, ,medium heavys. They seem to work well. I heard about the Epifany cab's, though not the one you mentioned. It might work well with my David Eden 2x10. I don't think there are any Epifany dealers in my area, though. Thanks anyway!

Sounds good. Read some good reviews on the Acme cabs. Got to find a local dealer to try some out. Ended up trying the Gallien Krueger 400 and 700 this past weekend through various cabs. Ampeg's and SWR's were alright, but I still favor the David Eden 2x10 I picked up. I may try to find a 1x15 from Eden but I still may look for a new amp. Thanks!

Archived