Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More questions on Soundproofing

I am moving into a 600 square foot storage unit that will be used for a practice space for my band. It currently has a concrete painted floor, uncovered walls(aluminum siding basically) on two sides and drywall on the other two sides. Someone put in a hanging styrafoam ceiling so that can probably stay. What would be the best way to soundproof this room so that it sounds decent? I dont want to spend too much because whatever we do to the space we cannot take with us if we move. What is my best bet? Should I go with cheap tile on the floor or just get some cheap carpet? My main concern is getting a workable sound for practicing. Covering the walls somehow will help the most I think. Morbid Angel practices next to us in a similiar unit but I am not sure what they did to soundproof the room. I know one thing for sure, we can't practice at the same time- way too loud!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh and by the way, keep in mind that I am not as interested in containing the sound inside the practice room as I am with it sounding good inside the room. Other bands play at the facility so the outside noise is not a big problem.

Make it dead. Carpet everything and use 15 degree opposite angles on the walls.

Start in one corner by putting up two 4by4's nailed together so that the 8" out side faces the opposite wall. Support it in and nail up the carpet. Go to the next corner and support a 2by4 in and run the other end of the carpet to that. Now you have an angled wall of carpet with air space between it and the wall. Reverse the angle on the opposite wall and do the same. NO PARALLEL CARPET WALLS. Do the same to the two other end walls building a frame around which ever end has the door. Use carpet that reaches the ceiling and make sure the whole thing can be taken apart if you decide to move. Tape cheap packing foam to the roof.

Build a one foot drum riser and pack it with sand bags. less vibration means less feed back though all mic's. Do the same for the bass rig. Hang eleven [thats one more, is'nt it] randomly room angled 2'X3' foot carpet strips down from the ceiling around the room but try to do this with ceiling to room sound reflections in mind. Like in the corners and above the drum kit. Cheapist carpet you can find will work but the thicker the better. Get all band members involved and any construction bud's you may have and the whole process will take about two hours. It is very worth it.

Now your space will not ring like a metal can, you can play louder with ten times more definition and the vocalist will stop screaming out " MORE MONITOR"!

Get with me direct if you have any questions and good luck.

Have you got a demo?

musicproducer@prodigy.net

mp

Archived