Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you back up?

There was an interesting article in this month's EQ on backup techniques, penned by none other than The Mix Fix (or Bob Buontempo, as he's known to the rest of the world). Which got me thinking: let's do an informal survey of how y'all back up your valuable data. And if you're not backing it up, we need to know that too. Fire away...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I back up to CD-RW (or just CD-R if I'm making a permanent archive) or ZIP disk. And those are the only methods I've found to be really reliable. Tape backup is a crapshoot at best. Even ZIP disks make me somewhat nervous and I keep several backup disks, not just one. I have a once a week backup and then a rotating daily (or even twice daily if I'm doing heavy work that day) backup. That way if my system gets hopelessly corrupted (what, with Windows? Nahhhh...), hopefully I will notice that within a week and can restore from an earlier version than yesterday's, which may already have been corrupted.

One thing I am NOT doing, which I think would be a good idea, is keeping a backup offsite (in case of fire, theft or whatever). Nowadays there are several places on the Internet that will let you back stuff up to their server, and since I have a broadband connection this would probably be a viable option. Otherwise, one could store a copy of a backup disk at a friend's, bandmate's or relative's house.

It sure would not be good to lose all our hard work!

--Lee

DVD ram for the unfinish and cd's for the finish, so i dont burn cd's untill i think that i'm not going to work on somthing for a wile. and the main problem or i should say pain in the ass of dvdram is that it only holds 2.5 gig per side, and you have to turn them to acces the "B" side. (at least in my drive). but is a much better solution that CD's.

No, I wasn't aware the topic was on David's forum...so before we let this topic sink down on the list, a comment about offsite backup.

My fave is a bank safe deposit box. You can often get one for free with some types of checking account, and CDs don't take up a lot of space. They're climate-controlled, fireproof, all that good stuff. Check it out!

And while we're at it...does anyone use the Orb drive for backup? And whatever happened to Magneto-optical, anyway? Oh yes, and one more thing: what about those Imation 120 MB drives that also handle floppies?

Craig:

Thanks for the plug!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I did a survey several month's ago on Rogers's board to get a feel for what users here were doing for backups, and that's part of how the article was formulated, or at least laid out, to an extent. By the preferences of the posters on these boards!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Bob.

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

We use MO at our studios for work-in-progress. 3 years and ZERO problems. Sony 2.3 Gig MO

Burn 2 copies to CDs after albums completed, 1 for Record Company and 1 for us (2 locations see)

MO's are reused using oldest first. Our stock of MO's numbers about 40.

We also burn copies of 'Mix components' ie mixed Drums only, mixed Bass only....I think you call them 'stems' in the US. These have been incredibly useful for Mix fixs, Remixes, TV/Video special mixes.

Playtime Productions

I bought a Magneto-optical 650 drive mostly for my sampler, but I'm constantly hooking it up to my Mac and Pc because I really like the media. I threw away my Zip because of several bad discs, and needed a RELIABLE medium for the sampler, and so far it hasn't let me down. I'd choose it again over any magnetic-type medium such as Orb for longevity. Only problem is the really high cost of the gig-mo drives. But until I do more video-for-audio captures requiring huge file backup, MO is the way to go.
Raul

Does anyone know about using an audio dat recorder for data backups? It should be so simple, the data dats are so similar (I think a minor difference in the shell and thinner tape) and the rotating head is the same vcr technology we have been using for 30 years.

Why is this not being done, or is it?

-David

On The Moon Studio

-David R.

Originally posted by dxr@iname.com:

Does anyone know about using an audio dat recorder for data backups?

-David

On The Moon Studio

It is possible in Creamwares TripleDat (a german HDR-System), but since we have cd-burners, i don't use it anymore. But you still get DAT and 8mm tape backup drives here in Germany. Very often used for big servers.

Harald

Harald

Archived