Jump to content

Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Splitting signal from live snake to (2) mixers

Recommended Posts



I've been doing a lot of live sound lately and have run into some live boards that don't give me access to direct outs. I'm using a Roland 1680 (w/ my Mackie 1604 when necessary to subgroup.)


My last gig, I drove 600 miles to a festival only to be handed; the WET LR main outs & 4 dry (badly mixed) subgroups. I also ran a couple of live condensers for some stereo ambience.


So I obviously don't want someone else's drunken mix...


I want to know if there's something available for splitting signals coming into the live board's inputs, so I can create my own drum subgroup and get my various direct inputs? And also, does splitting the signal create any load problems that would negatively affect the sound? Would a ton of XLR Y-cables do the trick or is it more complicated?


Any help here is appreciated...

Thanks a lot! G~Man

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
XLR connections are a high impedence connection. Therefore spliting the signal with a "Y" cable will not load down the source signal. The only problem I could see occuring would be the "pile of darn cables" syndrome that may occure anyway. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif If your electronicly inclined, or know someone who is, and you are taking the signal a significant distance (out to production truck, ect). I would recomend maybe making a two or three output distibution amp(broadcastors call them DA's). A DA is just a unity gain amplifier, the level coming in is the level on all the outputs. A DA is a neccesity for low impedence signals, as they will load down (decreace the level) the source signal. Various different companies make Audio Distribution Amplifiers with a varity of channels and number of outputs. Check pro audio/broadcasting catalogs like Markertek and Sweetwater for some ideas.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, thanks for the quick answer!


Since I'm usually set up right next to the FOH board - I'm only running lines about 8-12ft.


I'm beginning to think that the XLR Y-cables will do the trick, then just attach some 12ft mic cables to extend from them to my Mackie, or, with the appropriate balanced input adaptors for my Roland VS. I like to keep my setup as compact and "mobile" as possible, so adding cables & Y's isn't a big deal.


I guess now my question is, do snakes have these DA's built into them? I'm only extending the signal a short distance from the house board...


I just want to be ready for any questions or concerns the FOH man has when I tell him I want to "split" his snake outputs. Most of them are like me, they know enough to do their job, but if you throw a curve at them they get real nervous.


thx again. Gg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, there are errors in the posts from other memebers. XLR connectors are used for LOW impedence balanced connections, 150 to 600 ohms. Secondly, most audio distribution amps are line level in and out, so using one on a mic level split will give you a terrible signal to noise ratio. Another post mentions a broadcast box, typically called a press feed-these generally are one input, many (up to 24) outs, not good for your application.

If you are good at fabrication, you should construct your own custom recording split that embodies the features that YOU need. I would recommend getting six to ten mic level, 150 ohm dual secondary transformers, mount them in a box with a female XLR input to the primary of each XFMR, and two males wired to the secondary "split" outs. You would unplug the house snake lines for the mics you want to record. Replug one side of the split to his mixer input, and the other leg to your record mixer. You could also wire pin 1 ground lifts into the record side of the split in case your console and his have a ground problem.(not likely if you're on the same AC service)

For the inputs that you can tap off the house mixer, you could build into your little package RCA to 1/4 inch, XLR to 1/4 inch,etc adapters. Use isolated ground connectors, though.

If you are not too handy, there are

mic split boxes available from whirlwind, I guess they are around $50 each. Good Luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...