Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POD Signal Levels

Craig,

You mentioned using a POD... I just picked one up recently and I like it a lot - great tones, flexibility but the only downside I'm finding relates to level matching...

I'm running the POD out (in mono) direct to a track on an XT20 (using the patch bay, but bypassing the board) and then monitoring the sound back at the board (Mackie 24*8).

My studio (with the exception of a few isolated effects) is wired balanced and running +4 level signals... I find that I have a bit of a noise issue when running some of the settings of the POD - if I turn up both channel volume and output volume to max, some patches are extremely noisy, but I need that level of output to put out a sufficiently strong signal to the XT20.

I could run the POD out (with DI??) to my PreSonus VXP then run that to the ADAT to get a bit more gain, but I'm afraid of adding an unnecessary path to my signal chain.... What signal chain do you run when using the POD? Where do you keep your POD's output level and channel volume levels? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Bruce

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no expert engineer or anything, but I run the POD straight into my adat's. I don't have a patch bay (yet) and I plug it straight into the snake coming off the adat. I haven't really had any noise problems doing this. Once in a while I'll run it into an Art Tube MP to add a little different character to it.

Good Luck

t.fall

OK, but what kind of level are you reading on the ADAT meters? And are you connected via -10 or +4 levels??

Also, where do you set your output level on the POD? and where is your channel volume set??

Bruce

As I said I'm really no "engineer", totally amature if ya know what I mean, but I believe I've got the machines set to balanced, which I believe is -10. I know they are set to balanced, but I forget the numerical terminology and don't live in the same location as my machines. The output on the POD is set around 8 usually for significant level. I usually max out the channel volume, but sometimes have it lower for sound reasons. It is kinda like lower channel volume, higher output level. I don't know if you have the first generation POD, but if you do you have to reset the channel level after changing amp models which could be throwing you off. I also usually have the models gain up pretty high which prolly also helps me get enough output. If your playing pretty clean the output may not be high enough. Hope that helps.

By the way I have clipped the levels on the ADAT with the POD so I think the gain you need to get a good level is their, unless like I said you are playing pretty clean in which case I would definitely crank the channel volume all the way.

t.fall

T.Fall,

I think you may be running at -10 levels (bal./unbal. lines is irrespective of signal level) because you say you've clipped the ADAT inputs... Highest level I've gotten so far was with my Guild semi-acoustic - peaking at -9db. Which is where my question regarding POD levels originates from!

Sounds like my POD is outputting proper levels... certainly seems that way running a clean signal... guess I need to play with it more...

Thanks for the feedback...

Bruce Valeriani

Blue Bear Sound

I send my POD into the DA7 mixer's mic preamps. That way I can set levels conservatively on POD (running out of headroom is something I seem to do a lot ), and compensate with the DA7 mic pres. This also allows me to use the mixer's parametric EQ (the one thing missing from POD is a good parametric -- some of those amp models need a little smoothing out with respect to frequency response) and dynamics.

Would there be any point in using a step-up box to bring the output of the POD up to +4?

I've run the POD thru my board too, at first, but boosting gain on the pre also boosted the noise....

Bruce

[This message has been edited by bvaleria@iosphere.net (edited 08-28-2000).]

Originally posted by lwilliam:

Has anyone tried using the POD as an insert after the fact? Do you need to have a "re-amp" type of box?

Yup... works great...

Incidently, I found the better solution to my level issue - I just upgraded to the POD Pro... problem solved.

The Pro also has a DI out and separate Line In which simplifies the DI to recorder, re-amp procedure quite a bit (at least, if you use it in a patch-bay scenario!)

Bruce

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!!!

Those Line6 guys are messing with my head... this thing says POD *PRO*........ the main outs are +4, but the line in (for reamping) and DI out are -10............ The track I just recorded at the +4 gain structure now clips when I send it back into the POD............. ARRGGGHH!!!!!

Now I've got to put a level-adjustment in between (either by transformer or via the mixer) the 2... so much for minimal signal path.......................

What were they thinking?????

A frustrated Bruce Valeriani

Blue Bear Sound

>>Now I've got to put a level-adjustment in between (either by transformer or via the mixer) the 2... so much for minimal signal path.......................<<

All you need is a resistive pad (two resistors, one in series, one to ground). I had a similar situation where I needed to feed line level outs into a vocoder's mic input. So I made a special cable with a pad soldered into the plug at the mic end, and wrapped some tape around the plug to identify it. You could do the same thing when reamping. Off the top of my head, I'd suggest putting a 10k resistor in series with the cable hot, and a 1k resistor from the POD Pro line in to ground. If it still distorts, change the 1k to a lower value, like 680 ohms.

I don't have a POD Pro so I can't vouch for this approach, but in theory it should work.

Craig,

I know you're the "MacGyver" of the electronic device world http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif, but my own electronic skills are sadly lacking.... my wallet's more electronically inclined than I am!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

In that light, I was thinking of the Ebtech Line-Level Shifter (converts between -10 and +4) or would that device change the sound too much?

Bruce

Archived